Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My charge port won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the car yesterday, loving every minute of driving this beautiful automobile. Got home this evening and the charge port won't open. Tried opening using the charging cable, tried the two opening buttons on the console. It makes a clicking noise but will not open.

I can call tesla in the morning, but I was wondering of anybody here has had a similar problem, and if there is an easy solution.

Thanks in advance.

Someone else did have this problem when they first got the car. I remember them saying they unlocked it with the control in the car then used something to gently pry the door open. After doing this a few times it opened fine on its own. Dont remember what thread it was on, but i think they said that it was just a little stiff when it was new and loosened up after a couple times. Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Cheers

Someone else did have this problem when they first got the car. I remember them saying they unlocked it with the control in the car then used something to gently pry the door open. After doing this a few times it opened fine on its own. Dont remember what thread it was on, but i think they said that it was just a little stiff when it was new and loosened up after a couple times. Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Cheers

Worked like a charm - thanks a lot!:biggrin:

Good luck.

Cheers

I may have posted this on another thread .. it was a non-forum member here in Dallas (Plano) who had the same problem. Seems like this, albeit not common, is not uncommon as well.

I am continually having this problem daily when I charge at night... when I try to open the charge port door with the button on the charging cable - nothing happens, no sounds, nothing. So then, i use the screen , and press once, then i hear 'clunk'.. still not open, press two or three times more.. then it finally opens.

After that, then the button on the charging cable works fine in opening the charge port door - but then the next day - i have the same problem... so this is becoming a daily ritual for me...

could be it the temperature making the magnet less responsive? i am in Toronto and its not that cold here - about 1C / 34F -

any thoughts would be helpful.. as I am going to take it in the local service centre tomorrow anyways

I've noticed the following very reliably....

Since there's no charge timer I've been plugging it in just before I go to bed so the car is "asleep" from when my wife got home from work. I walk out w/ the fob and grab the cord. Handles present as I walk by. I get to the charge port and push the button. Clunking noises but door doesn't open. Push the button again and door opens. I'm chalking this up to the car still being asleep and only opens the door on the second attempt but who knows. Once there's a charge timer I'll try it when the car is still awake from bring driven.

spoke to factory service this morning, they have heard of this issue, and it may require an 'adjustment' or a 'complete replacement' of the charger ( which would be a full day job ) - they are making me a service appointment to see which is neccessary

spoke to factory service this morning, they have heard of this issue, and it may require an 'adjustment' or a 'complete replacement' of the charger ( which would be a full day job ) - they are making me a service appointment to see which is neccessary
I'm having similar issues. The first night I charged the port door opened with the connector button. Since then that doesn't work although no problems using the button on the touch screen.

ok, after some toying around with it , i think i found a solution.. if you have this same problem try below, and let us know if it works as well.

the situation : The car in the garage and is locked.

1. As i come to the car, it auto-presents, unlocks, i then try the button on the charging cable - NO LUCK , no sounds, nothing
2. now, i LOCK the car with my key fob. ( one press )
3. now, i UNLOCK the car with the key fob ( double press )
4. now, the button on the charging cable works without any issue, over and over again.

strange.. but it works..

P.S. I even tried Stinnett's method of "if I open and close the rear driver side door then the charge port opens the next time I push the botton on the charger " - but that didnt work for me.

ok, after some toying around with it , i think i found a solution.. if you have this same problem try below, and let us know if it works as well.

1. As i come to the car, it auto-presents, unlocks, i then try the button on the charging cable - NO LUCK , no sounds, nothing
4. now, the button on the charging cable works without any issue, over and over again.

strange.. but it works..

P.S. I even tried Stinnett's method of "if I open and close the rear driver side door then the charge port opens the next time I push the botton on the charger " - but that didnt work for me.

Sounds like a bug, perhaps related to sleep mode? Please report this behavior and your version to Tesla! Thanks!

Yeah, I wonder if it's just the time it takes for you to walk up, lock, unlock, and then the cable works the car is awake by then. Try just walking up, grabbing the cable, waiting 15-20 seconds, and then try it.

Hey Strider, actually the cable is in my trunk, so as i walk by, the car unlocks, i unlock open the trunk , take out the cables, plug into wall, close trunk, then try opening port ( not opening, no sound ).. this whole process takes more than 30 seconds.. so i dont think its this.

strange.. but it works..

I just had this happen to me, Charge Port would not open but would click just fine. Used the Lock/Unlock method, and the button on the cable was able to open the Charge Port door (though not all the way, as I had some tiny slivers of ice in there from a hand wash several hours earlier in the day, which froze during an hour of running errands). Thanks Zas for the solution!