Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma forums - membership overlap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time today I went to read up on the reaction to the recent news about Fisker.

Over in the FiskerBuzz.com

I was surprised to see many "screen names" on that site were the same as ones here.

Is it a coincidence? Or are many Tesla owners also Fisker owners or just hanging out of there as well, reading up on both?

OK I use herbvdh on Club Lexus and Fisker also. I gave up on Fisker after seeing one at the dealer of extreme poor quality. I was interested in Fisker but they lied at the car show to me once about seeing one locally. I found out about Tesla on Club Lexus one day researched it and here I am. Still debating S or X but next vehicle will be Tesla.

I think it's fairly common to see "forum junkies" on more than one. Especially in a case like this, where both companies are after the same type of customer, in terms of green ideal and wealth. Checking in on another forum is also a good source of info from the "other side" so to speak.

Personally I find marque-specific forums to be the best sources of info, as they collect from myriad other sources and present the most relevant and current. Plus the most hard-core types are frequently "connected" and can have insider info. Sure beats using Google in vain to find the latest news.

As an enthusiast I find myself most frequently on forums that do not apply to cars I own! They are the most interesting (Spyker, Koenigsegg, Pagani). I come here mostly for news on the burgeoning electric car movement, and to see what's up with Tesla. It's a fascinating story.

I also have a login on FiskerBuzz, but to be honest I don't go there very often. It was more fun when everyone was speculating when the Karma was finally going to get here, and they were all worked up! Once the car was finally here it was interesting watching all the problems that everyone was having, but it quickly became clear that the majority of the users only wanted to see things through rose-colored glasses, and anybody with a (valid) dissenting position was vilified. So my desire to spend time there waned quite a bit. It's purely a fan site, not an open forum.

I would be careful if I ran this forum. For example I've seen a some comments about problems with the Model S or concerns about the company and their ability to deliver. Very quickly these positions are stomped down, people are told what they should be thinking, or moved to "snippiness". I find that a dissenting opinion here is not always welcome. If one really wants honest and open discussions then one should be willing to accept the occasional contrary comment; it's the foundation of this country. Otherwise all you have is a rah-rah fansite, which quickly loses credibility.

In my view, that's what happened to FiskerBuzz; don't let it happen here.

Just my $.02, not that anybody asked.

I would be careful if I ran this forum. For example I've seen a some comments about problems with the Model S or concerns about the company and their ability to deliver. Very quickly these positions are stomped down, people are told what they should be thinking, or moved to "snippiness". I find that a dissenting opinion here is not always welcome. If one really wants honest and open discussions then one should be willing to accept the occasional contrary comment; it's the foundation of this country. Otherwise all you have is a rah-rah fansite, which quickly loses credibility.

Typically you'll find that the posts moved to 'snippiness' are the ones that have moved off the issue under discussion and onto direct "snarkiness" directed towards another poster. Those posts don't contribute to good discussion. "Not liking" Tesla is not considered snippy by the mods.

It's a fine line to walk as a mod. I've had really great experiences with Tesla overall - but that doesn't mean that I would bury a contrarian post somewhere else. I would like to feel that I'm also free to express my opinion without being dismissed as just seeing the world thru rose-colored glasses, especially when that opinion is informed by my personal experience. I will speak up if I think something is misleading or harmful speculation - that has happened a few times and while it starts as a rumor, within about 5 or 6 posts it becomes *fact* to the new readers of the thread.

We should also welcome the posts that dissent from the dissenting opinion, yes? Any post that is thoughtful, based on fact, and doesn't attack other forum members is welcome here.

I would be careful if I ran this forum..... If one really wants honest and open discussions then one should be willing to accept the occasional contrary comment; it's the foundation of this country. Otherwise all you have is a rah-rah fansite, which quickly loses credibility.....

Both Fisker and Tesla have the additional problem of being under the microscope. The automotive press and mainstream media use these forums just like you to report on what's happening with their car's gestation. If there is a problem and it's reported worldwide based on some comments on a user forum that might reflect poorly on something that the company might even be concurrently fixing (Fisker's UI for example).

The larger problem though is these companies are still weak an vulnerable. Sergio said Chrysler can have one car totally fail and still stay in business. One car. What if you only sell one car? What if other corporations who don't even make cars want you to fail? Comments on these forums do have to be carefully weighed as the company's future can depend on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Some bad press comes to mind. Bricking, Top Gear, Consumer Reports, Anything on Gawker, Jalopnik.

It's funny, I had a very similar discussion just yesterday. 100% agree.

Some bad press comes to mind. Bricking, Top Gear, Consumer Reports, Anything on Gawker, Jalopnik.

Ugh! Jalopnik is one of the worst, for everybody, not just Tesla. All they do is reprise others' reports, without even checking facts. And Consumer Reports to me is a joke. Car reporting for people who don't care even the slightest about cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Both Fisker and Tesla have the additional problem of being under the microscope. The automotive press and mainstream media use these forums just like you to report on what's happening with their car's gestation. If there is a problem and it's reported worldwide based on some comments on a user forum that might reflect poorly on something that the company might even be concurrently fixing (Fisker's UI for example).

The larger problem though is these companies are still weak an vulnerable. Sergio said Chrysler can have one car totally fail and still stay in business. One car. What if you only sell one car? What if other corporations who don't even make cars want you to fail? Comments on these forums do have to be carefully weighed as the company's future can depend on it.

You're right in some aspects. But if I only had people give me glowing praise of my business, that does me a disservice. The people who are dissatisfied - I need to hear from them. I don't want to, but I need to. Someone who's had a deposit on a Model S for three years and is now fed up with constantly shifting delivery dates has a valid complaint, and perhaps doesn't need to be told what his expectations should be. It's that person who's handing over a not-insignificant wad of cash; Tesla serves them, not the other way around.

So if the person paying the money thinks its stupid not to have power folding mirrors on a $100K car, then its their right to think that. The only way Tesla improves their product is by hearing from these people. Bad press fades, great product endures. That's why Audi is still around. Let the dissenters be heard, is all I'm saying.

Bonnie, feel free to move this post as appropriate. :wink:

I would be careful if I ran this forum. ... If one really wants honest and open discussions then one should be willing to accept the occasional contrary comment; it's the foundation of this country. Otherwise all you have is a rah-rah fansite, which quickly loses credibility.

As the guy who runs the forum, I agree and it's a constant struggle.

Moving this thread to Site Feedback.