Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How TPMS is reset in the model S...

A little surprised by this thread. I have a 2007 Acura TL with standard TPMS. It shows the accurate tire pressure for each wheel and updates wheel location automatically by moving the car a few feet after tire rotation. BTW, this system is dead on with my quality digital tire pressure gauge.

Just a question: If the TPMS recognizes a low tire pressure and you fill the tire up how does one reset the TPMS or does this occur automatically

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    It would be automatic.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

S Owner/Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericK View Post
    Just a question: If the TPMS recognizes a low tire pressure and you fill the tire up how does one reset the TPMS or does this occur automatically
    Two ways to reset the TPMS if you have your tires deflated. The first is in the Owner Safety Information booklet:

1. NOTE: The warning light does not turn off immediately after you adjust tire pressures. It turns off when you drive Model S above 25 mph (40 km/h) for more than 10 minutes with tires at the recommended pressures.

2. Turn off the car via the menu and then press the brake to turn it on again (this is not officially documented anywhere that I know of).
    Model S Performance Plus -- Metalic Blue | Pano | Chrome rims| Carbon Fiber Decor | Tan Interior
    Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Twin Chargers || VIN 13915. Delivery 6/28/2013

PLEASE NOTE: These writings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended for exclusive use in the Tesla Motors Clubs forums. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

So when you change from summer to winter tires in cold climates. It's correct that the onboard tpms "reader" can't store more than 4 wheels? so you have to visit a service center to reprogram? Do they still sell the tool in the US? I remember earlier someone saying about $600.. Here they charge $2000(!) for it, and they should be the exact same tool.

Anyone got some info on this?
    Model S, EU P#2241 delivered 11/8/13 - Norway

Currently they do not sell the reset tool. The tool referenced was for the Roadster. Currently I drive with the TPMS warning light on until I either have a scheduled annual service or pay Tesla to have it reset for the current set of tires.

I hope they eventually sell the tool or enable the car to reset itself. This is one of the sacrifices one makes when buying an expensive car- more money for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    Currently they do not sell the reset tool. The tool referenced was for the Roadster. Currently I drive with the TPMS warning light on until I either have a scheduled annual service or pay Tesla to have it reset for the current set of tires.

I hope they eventually sell the tool or enable the car to reset itself. This is one of the sacrifices one makes when buying an expensive car- more money for everything.
    Alright, ty for info!
    Model S, EU P#2241 delivered 11/8/13 - Norway

If they at some point do offer the TPMS reset/programming tool for resale, or if we found a way to get it from a third party (Baolong?) then I would propose a group buy for the "Tesla Owner's Club Norway - Greater Oslo metropolitan area chapter". (OK, this club doesn't really exist quite yet, but will soon!)
    Models S EU P#389 - P85 blue, twin chargers, pano roof, 19" wheels, tech pack, security pack, winter pack, black leather interior. Delivered Sept 5th 2013. - Model X EU P#5 reservation -

Thread Information