Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard about this Saturn Sky conversion maybe a year or so ago. Haven't heard anything from them since.

team_12.jpg

Well it looks like they started taking resevations for 300 cars May 20th. I just checked today the 23rd and there are 212 left. Not Bad.

If I was not so into the Tesla I would seriously consider somthing like this.

Nice, really nice though I'd like to see more detailed specs. I guees I'm "Tesla spoiled" :)

Interesting tidbit: they've ditched rear differential and are using two electric motors. I have a feeling this approach will prevail sooner or later because you can "simulate" limited slip differential and have better torque delivery and control through corners and on slippery roads.

Price is also mighty interesting: only 25.000 $ for conversion!? So the electric version comes at double the price of donor car.

ACPropulsion wants 55.000$ to create eBox from your xB that retails for around 16.000 $. So the electric version is more than 4 times the price of donor car.

I guess, electric cars are gettin' cheaper :D

I happen to have rented a Pontiac Solstice earlier this week. The Solstice and Sky are essentially the same car, just some differences in body styling. If you're very tall at all, this car is a torture chamber on wheels. Very cramped, with knees knocking against the steering wheel. I'm 6' 0" tall.

You want trunk volume in a car? You'll find NONE of that in the Solstice/Sky! Without a doubt, the Roadster is more comfortable for the driver, and it has at least a modicum of trunk storage space.

Given that, I personally don't care if someone has converted them to be EV's; it wouldn't be a fun car for me to drive.

Sky Roadster Forum

Some more views on this interesting "donor car" :)
They have a thread on this conversion also.

That counter is now downto 208. They've already got almost a million dollars in downpayments. Not to bad for a mere conversion.

Edit: Scrap that. That availability counter is back upto 248 ?:| I sense some fishy bussiness...

Last edited:
This place is in my neck of the woods. I know a guy that is in Cinci TDI club that went to their press release last year when the initial reports came out. It's located in a suburban commercial area if that makes sense. I wish I could find that email...

There wasn't too much to tell from what I recall, just press and a little talk. I know I wouldn't pluck down the dollars right now without some insurance. I've seen too many ventures go belly up (as well as too many EV deals go bye bye after they take the funds). Although if they can produce as promised, I'd be interested in this car for $55K.

I had vaugely remembered making the same comment but was too lazy to search for the original thread.
Well, I also only had a vague recollection... it was DDB's last comment that reminded me that we had a discussion about it here.

It's worth noting that it's been almost exactly one year and we know nothing more about what AMP is offering. The articles I skimmed about them yesterday imply that it's completely new. People should be asking what they've been doing the past year. Actually, looking over that old thread, it seems like we knew more then than we do now.

AMP converts Saturn Sky to EV now

Advanced Mechanical Products copy from autobloggreen:

Thanks to a tip from a reader, we've been introduced to a new electric sports car maker based in Cincinnati, Ohio: Advanced Mechanical Products. AMP has taken a major shortcut to offering its first electric vehicle by starting with a gas-powered Saturn Sky as the base. Out goes the GM Ecotec four-banger, in goes an electric motor and lithium phosphate batteries. According to the manufacturer, the electric car will accelerate to sixty miles per hour in less than six seconds and have a top speed of around ninety miles per hour. A full charge will give a range of up to one-hundred-fifty miles. The company is currently accepting orders for the first batch of three-hundred cars, which will cost around $50,000 each.

AMP Motorworks - (Advanved Mechanical Products) -The 100 percent electric car
2994456244500868.JPG

Seems the EV wave is rising - that conversion will (for similarity in look, price, feeling and being a 100% Ev and not a hybrid like the Volt) at best give the Volt e.g. the dinosaur GM a run for its money.
Provided one of the remaining tree US Tyrannosaurus Rex car producers - GM vintage - still breaths by then.

Given that the first Volt release is planned to hit the streets in three years the earliest - then the Prius will be ready available in the 10 th improved version at every dealers place and seen on every home depod parking lot on every corner of the US as well as many other EV vendors already being well established on the market.

That gives GM at best a good hard look from behind into the (then non anymore existing) exhausts - if GM finds a trick to survive that long - what some well informed insider doubt

Last edited: