Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is turning off the alarm an option?

Pistons are unnecessary. Todd Burch's Avatar

Why is turning off the alarm an option?

From the Model S Owner's Guide: "ALARM: If ON, the horn will sound if a door or the front or rear trunk is mechanically opened by non-standard means."

Why would someone want to turn this off? "Mechanically opened by non-standard means" sounds to me like someone is trying to pry the door open. Who wouldn't want the alarm to go off in that situation?

Just curious because it seems like an odd thing to make an option.
    P85 VIN?????. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 19s (for now), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: P1577, VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    1. When you're working on the car.
    2. So that you can turn it off if it sticks on.
    3. Installing your radar detector under the nose cone.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    1. When you're working on the car.
    2. So that you can turn it off if it sticks on.
    3. Installing your radar detector under the nose cone.
    I fail to understand how 1 would set it off unless you're prying the thing open...which would...er...not be recommended. I suppose if the door/trunk/frunk is being serviced by Tesla Rangers, #1 makes sense.

I don't think #3 would set it off...but maybe.

#2: Seems like it would only be the result of a software bug, which could be solved by rebooting...and Tesla subsequently squashing the bug.

I dunno. Maybe it seems like it should be in a more obscure place--like on the restricted access diagnostics page for the car? >Shrug<.
    P85 VIN?????. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 19s (for now), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.

Blog Entries
    Passive energy drain?
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I dunno. Maybe it seems like it should be in a more obscure place--like on the restricted access diagnostics page for the car? >Shrug<.
    I'm guessing it really depends on what is meant by non-standard opening, how sensitive the alarm is, and what triggers it. For instance if it includes glass-break sensors, then if the correct sound is made, the alarm goes off. This happens with other cars--and sometimes it's just where they are parked. Turning it off is really the only cure for that situation.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Why would someone want to turn this off? "Mechanically opened by non-standard means" sounds to me like someone is trying to pry the door open. Who wouldn't want the alarm to go off in that situation?
    My alarm went off the other day, here's what happened: Picked up my daughter from school with my wife's great aunt in the car; stopped off at the supermarket for a couple of bits and left them in the car for a few minutes. They started to feel it was too warm and the windows wouldn't open so they opened the door.....At which point they jumped and most of the car park took note.

Much easier if you turn off the alarm when someone is waiting in the car while the driver exits to do something.

I'm sure that if the car alarm doesn't already get triggered by motion switch's it will in future updates.
    The model S does have accelerometers for other functions in the car.

In this case I will be happy if you can easy turn off the alarm, one of the first announcements on ferries is asking someone to return to their car and turn off the alarm. Never fails.

but at the moment I think it's mainly for prying doors and windows open to remove valuables. Or if the windows are down that the alarm goes off if someone reaches in to open the door form the inside handle.

I've never found car alarms to be useful for much of anything. People ignore them or are annoyed by them, but they don't stop someone who knows what they are doing. I especially don't like my car honking the horn as a signal for anything. I'd much rather have the alarm response go to my phone app and not have any audio indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    My alarm went off the other day, here's what happened: Picked up my daughter from school with my wife's great aunt in the car; stopped off at the supermarket for a couple of bits and left them in the car for a few minutes. They started to feel it was too warm and the windows wouldn't open so they opened the door.....At which point they jumped and most of the car park took note.
    OK, so I guess the description in the Owner's Guide is a bit of a simplification. Opening the door from the inside with the doors locked doesn't seem to be what I would consider "mechanically opening the doors by non-standard means". Seems to me this is an issue that should be fixed in a future software update.

OK, so I guess the description in the Owner's Guide is a bit of a simplification. Opening the door from the inside with the doors locked doesn't seem to be what I would consider "mechanically opening the doors by non-standard means". Seems to me this is an issue that should be fixed in a future software update.
    From the car's perspective, someone reaching through an open window (or using a tool through a cracked window or a jimmy-bar down into the door itself) would be the same as someone opening a locked door from the inside.
    Moderator - EVs, Tech, Midwest, SpaceX, OT forums

Thread Information