Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion to Tesla: Software update readme needs list of fixed issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't quite have my car just yet, but based on my reading of the firmware update changelog (the wiki linked at the beginning of the Software/Firmware thread), Tesla does not seem to list much in the way of bug fixes in their readme, but instead focuses on enhancements and new features. (I suppose this follows the idea that if you don't acknowledge bug fixes, it's like the bugs were never there in the first place?)

I'd like to suggest that Tesla be careful and clear about listing fixes to known bugs as opposed to not acknowledging the fixes in the readmes. Acknowledgement of known bugs that have been fixed, in my opinion, are just as import as new features and enhancements!

I can't see Tesla highlighting problems with their product at this stage of the game, would be a bad PR move.

On the other hand, I think they would mention any new "features" that correct older less ideal features (ie door handles staying extended longer now). Which seams to be the route they have taken. I want to know what has charged operationally to the end user. There is a lot under the frunk that is out of sight out of mind that they would be addressing. This is an area to me where it's better to treat the information like its for a car not a computer.

I don't believe Tesla is claiming the current software is feature complete and/or bug-free.

Especially as the number of owners increases, and the extended time it will end up taking for Tesla to produce a solid, reliable and feature-complete system - it will probably help them more to admit they have problems - than to hide from it.

They should do what other software vendors do - and admit areas where they have problems - and report when those problems are fixed.

Look at the release notes for software products, such as video card drivers - they usually list the bugs fixed and the new features in each release and also list the known problems which they have not yet fixed.

When customers are having problems - while it is frustrating to have to deal with the problem - it should be easier to tolerate in the short term, if we know Tesla is aware of the problem - and plans to fix it.

Similarly, they should provide a list of features they are "considering" for upcoming releases. Note that I didn't say "committing" - because they need to reserve the right not to implement something, if they encounter some reason why a feature should not be implemented. Especially now, when there are some rough edges in the software - it should be viewed positively for Tesla to admit it - and indicate their intent to make future improvements.

Wouldn't it be better for us to know - when a software release is made - what areas have and haven't yet been fixed? That seems much better than each of us going through our personal list of problem areas with each release - to see what is and isn't working yet...

I agree that owners should be provided a detailed list of fixes and updates in software releases. What would also be helpful is a list of pending fixes slated for the next release. This information should not be provided to the general public. When you consider the sheer complexity of the Model S's systems and software, we are ALL going to be beta testers for quite some time. As long as they are listening to our observations and suggestions, that's a good thing.

Does auto/hi still wipe faster than auto/lo for you? Mine wipes at lo for both auto/hi and auto/lo now (whereas before 4.0 it was lo for lo and hi for hi)
I generally skip past auto pretty quickly these days. When it rains, I want to drive safely rather than "be a good supporter of auto". That said, I'll try it out a bit to see if I can get you a good answer on that one.