Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to Tesla: Software update readme needs list of fixed issues

Suggestion to Tesla: Software update readme needs list of fixed issues

I don't quite have my car just yet, but based on my reading of the firmware update changelog (the wiki linked at the beginning of the Software/Firmware thread), Tesla does not seem to list much in the way of bug fixes in their readme, but instead focuses on enhancements and new features. (I suppose this follows the idea that if you don't acknowledge bug fixes, it's like the bugs were never there in the first place?)

I'd like to suggest that Tesla be careful and clear about listing fixes to known bugs as opposed to not acknowledging the fixes in the readmes. Acknowledgement of known bugs that have been fixed, in my opinion, are just as import as new features and enhancements!
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Agree 100%
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

Agreed. 4.0 seems to be the first one we're getting an in-dash changelog on though. Were there things fixed in 4.0?

Blog Entries
    There were at LEAST other things changed that didn't make the list. E.g hi/lo wiper sensitivity differences, charge port lighting differences, ...
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

I can't see Tesla highlighting problems with their product at this stage of the game, would be a bad PR move.

On the other hand, I think they would mention any new "features" that correct older less ideal features (ie door handles staying extended longer now). Which seams to be the route they have taken. I want to know what has charged operationally to the end user. There is a lot under the frunk that is out of sight out of mind that they would be addressing. This is an area to me where it's better to treat the information like its for a car not a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    There were at LEAST other things changed that didn't make the list. E.g hi/lo wiper sensitivity differences, charge port lighting differences, ...
    So auto wipers are now better in 4.0?

I don't believe Tesla is claiming the current software is feature complete and/or bug-free.

Especially as the number of owners increases, and the extended time it will end up taking for Tesla to produce a solid, reliable and feature-complete system - it will probably help them more to admit they have problems - than to hide from it.

They should do what other software vendors do - and admit areas where they have problems - and report when those problems are fixed.

Look at the release notes for software products, such as video card drivers - they usually list the bugs fixed and the new features in each release and also list the known problems which they have not yet fixed.

When customers are having problems - while it is frustrating to have to deal with the problem - it should be easier to tolerate in the short term, if we know Tesla is aware of the problem - and plans to fix it.

Similarly, they should provide a list of features they are "considering" for upcoming releases. Note that I didn't say "committing" - because they need to reserve the right not to implement something, if they encounter some reason why a feature should not be implemented. Especially now, when there are some rough edges in the software - it should be viewed positively for Tesla to admit it - and indicate their intent to make future improvements.

Wouldn't it be better for us to know - when a software release is made - what areas have and haven't yet been fixed? That seems much better than each of us going through our personal list of problem areas with each release - to see what is and isn't working yet...

Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    So auto wipers are now better in 4.0?
    Doesn't seem improved to me. I'm constantly fiddling with them and usually end up leaving them on 3 or 4 (always on lo/hi, no sensing) or 0.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar
    I agree that owners should be provided a detailed list of fixes and updates in software releases. What would also be helpful is a list of pending fixes slated for the next release. This information should not be provided to the general public. When you consider the sheer complexity of the Model S's systems and software, we are ALL going to be beta testers for quite some time. As long as they are listening to our observations and suggestions, that's a good thing.
    Metallic Silver P85 Reserved: 3/28/2009, Delivered: 12/21/2012 (1355 days) C.H.A.R.G.E.D.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Treasurer & Co-Founder)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Doesn't seem improved to me. I'm constantly fiddling with them and usually end up leaving them on 3 or 4 (always on lo/hi, no sensing) or 0.
    Does auto/hi still wipe faster than auto/lo for you? Mine wipes at lo for both auto/hi and auto/lo now (whereas before 4.0 it was lo for lo and hi for hi)
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Thread Information