Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by geharmon View Post
    Hence the term "finalize". Enjoy the car.
    Not the case. My experience is that if you make a reasonable request for this kind of change Tesla will do as much as possible to make it happen, particularly if delivery is not imminent. I got a similar "finalize is finalize" reaction from some here when I posted about wanting to change my color choice from blue to red a week after I had finalized the blue. But I went through channels at Tesla and they were able to make the change. If I had followed that advice at the time I would have given up and not attempted to make the color change.

Tesla is not the usual corporate bureaucracy that ignores its customer's needs and interests. Quite the contrary. Certainly in my experience all the old assumptions about corporate intransigence don't apply to Tesla.

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    I'm in the same boat -- let's see how we feel in a year or two after we've had to replace these high cost tires every 7000-10,000 miles!
    I don't think they are that high cost, you can get them on-line for $173 + shipping. That is approx. $750 for a set of 4, + mounting & balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    If you are in Southern California, I will be selling my 19"s soon after I take delivery some time in January...

Bonehead, if you would like to join the Southern California Tesla Club, send me a PM (private Message) with your email. I'll put you on the mailing list. Our next meetup is in January after you get your car. (maybe

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    Not the case. My experience is that if you make a reasonable request for this kind of change Tesla will do as much as possible to make it happen, particularly if delivery is not imminent. I got a similar "finalize is finalize" reaction from some here when I posted about wanting to change my color choice from blue to red a week after I had finalized the blue. But I went through channels at Tesla and they were able to make the change. If I had followed that advice at the time I would have given up and not attempted to make the color change.

Tesla is not the usual corporate bureaucracy that ignores its customer's needs and interests. Quite the contrary. Certainly in my experience all the old assumptions about corporate intransigence don't apply to Tesla.
    Your request to change colors was denied so you came on the board and criticized Tesla. You got the result that you wanted and now Tesla is finding out that there are others who are following the same strategy. I am sure that there are many people on this board who run big companies who will tell you that inflexibility has nothing to do with intransigence. Systems and processes ensure quality and a positive customer experience at the end of the day.

As an owner I am concerned about the long term viability and profitability of the company. You can argue that Tesla is the only car manufacturer in the world that has figured out a new way of doing business. Others would argue that there is a very good reason why the established firms do business the way they do.

Probably so. But I think the issue is that it would require someone from the customer service/delivery team getting a message (or going themselves) to the factory, finding the exact car that wants their wheels changed before the car heads out, getting the car flagged, getting it out of line, onto a lift so they can change the tires, changing the tires, and then putting it somewhere back in line. If you imagine this process as a well-oiled (no pun intended!) machine, once the order goes to the factory, everything is basically set in place including the parts and supplies needed to build the particular car (including tires), having them show up on the line at the proper time, and then once they're off the line and through inspection, getting it to logistics to be batched and sent to its eventual home.

When I was (impatiently) waiting for my car, logistics was the hardest nut to crack in terms of communication, even internally, so it was difficult to find out when the car got on a truck, what truck it was on etc. Car hauling is very expensive and very complicated, so they need to plan days or weeks in advance, knowing what's coming down the line as they pump out 400 cars per week, so pulling a car out of line even early in the process and for a relatively short period of time could still cause issues.

I'm sure if Tesla had a bunch of cars on the lot they'd be happy to switch the tires at the store prior to delivery. That's a million times easier than trying to do it during production.
    and don't forget with a wheel change comes a TPMS reprogram.

85 kWh Silver Tesla Model S, Panoramic Roof, 21" Silver Wheels, Int: Black Leather with (Gloss) Obeche Wood and CCI, Pkgs: Tech, Sound Studio, Air, Parcel Shelf, Twin Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith2189 View Post
    and don't forget with a wheel change comes a TPMS reprogram.
    And don't forget to update the inventory control system to show that the car that you swiped the 19" tires from now has 21" tires. As we all know Murphy says that the tech who did the swap gets sidetracked and forgets to update the system as there is no established process for doing so. The next day the system matches the car with the incorrectly coded 21" tires with a buyer in Hawaii and the car is put on the ship and sent over. A week later the car arrives at its destination and the buyer scream bloody heck because the car has the wrong tires and he is going to have to wait. Tesla air freights the 19" tires to Hawaii, pays for a shop to replace the tires and program the TPMS and then covers the buyer (who of course posts about the crappy service on this board) for the hassle .... all because someone complained that that it should be simple to swap tires on the car that they had already ordered and had built!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    And don't forget to update the inventory control system to show that the car that you swiped the 19" tires from now has 21" tires. As we all know Murphy says that the tech who did the swap gets sidetracked and forgets to update the system as there is no established process for doing so. The next day the system matches the car with the incorrectly coded 21" tires with a buyer in Hawaii and the car is put on the ship and sent over. A week later the car arrives at its destination and the buyer scream bloody heck because the car has the wrong tires and he is going to have to wait. Tesla air freights the 19" tires to Hawaii, pays for a shop to replace the tires and program the TPMS and then covers the buyer (who of course posts about the crappy service on this board) for the hassle .... all because someone complained that that it should be simple to swap tires on the car that they had already ordered and had built!
    they can send me the 21" grey tires. I tried to swap them after I had finalized my order. I told them it would be simple. Oh. Nevermind.

85 kWh Silver Tesla Model S, Panoramic Roof, 21" Silver Wheels, Int: Black Leather with (Gloss) Obeche Wood and CCI, Pkgs: Tech, Sound Studio, Air, Parcel Shelf, Twin Chargers

What bothers me about a thread like this is that it's fuel for the anti-Tesla crowd.

"Look how many forum members...the zealots that love the company and/or the car...are writing 'disappointed' posts"

Something to consider when you write a post that probably should be titled "I changed my mind after finalize and that's a bummer."

A little tough-lovey but "finalize" is pretty flipping clear to me. The fact that Tesla lets anyone break the rules for anything other than something on the order of financial hardship or family illness is arguably a foolish ("too nice") on their part. It opens the floodgates to destroying the productivity of the factory line and the efficiency of delivery for those that do just follow the rules.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    What bothers me about a thread like this is that it's fuel for the anti-Tesla crowd.

"Look how many forum members...the zealots that love the company and/or the car...are writing 'disappointed' posts"

Something to consider when you write a post that probably should be titled "I changed my mind after finalize and that's a bummer."

A little tough-lovey but "finalize" is pretty flipping clear to me. The fact that Tesla lets anyone break the rules for anything other than something on the order of financial hardship or family illness is arguably a foolish ("too nice") on their part. It opens the floodgates to destroying the productivity of the factory line and the efficiency of delivery for those that do just follow the rules.
    Right, I'm "a little disappointed" about this thread, as well.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

[H][/H]
    Tesla is an insanely customer-focused company -- you are not going to find another company that makes more effort to go the extra mile for its customers. As noted by others, the issue here is that ANY change once the order has been sent to the factory is going to, at a minimum, slow things down and divert resources (i.e., people, supplies etc.) to some degree large or small. .......

So, as a customer-focused company, they have made the wise, logical utilitarian decision to do what is in the best interest of the most customers and not impede the speed with which the cars are being produced.....
    Well sorry to say, customer friendly is ALLWAYS the opposite to 'Resource friendly'. Being customer friendly is to let the customer be as stupid as he wants and you still do everything to please him no matter how many time they change their minds.

Being mostly on the producing side of things (software development) I do understand the need of deadlines and it's often hard to decide when and where that is. Changes after being almost finished with something always are a pain in the ass and can have big impacts on stuff you have already done.Also for a start up it's probably much more important to be effictient.

But then again. Not being able to change tires on a car wich hasn't been produced is not customer friendly. So don't sell it as such. It's easier for them. Their ordering System is probably not flexible enough to handle stuff like this and so on.

Thread Information