Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: A little disappointed

  1. #21
    Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Zextraterrestrial View Post
    I thought I wanted to sell my 21"s but I like them too much that I might just stick w/ them
    I'm in the same boat -- let's see how we feel in a year or two after we've had to replace these high cost tires every 7000-10,000 miles!

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by jbherman View Post
    ...
    The moral of the story: Don't click finalize/submit until you're absolutely sure!
    My wife and I are taking this very seriously, going for our third test drive and holding out till we feel complete with our process, knowing that some "buyers remorse" is inevitable with any purchase and that we will end up loving whatever we get. I can sympathize with people wanting last minute changes, no hurt in asking and I completely understand Tesla's need to have "final" actually mean "Final" once the paperwork is finally signed. Aside from slowing down production, going back and forth a bunch increases the chances of a mistake being made in configuration choice and a customer holding that against Tesla.
    Last edited by 100thMonkey; 12-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Region: Seattle area (US)
    P85+, metalic grey, black interior, carbon fiber accents, sound, full Xpell Ultimate wrap, Alloygators...
    Solar Powered

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    96
    Anyone who runs any large manufacturing process can tell you that changing orders mid-stream is impractical. A change may sound simple, but there are systems and process implications that most manufacturing/ERP systems are simply not designed to support. Outside of the intial cooling off period I think that the only answer is for a buyer to forfeit their deposit and order again if they want a change badly enough.

  4. #24
    Member jbherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leawood, KS
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    Tesla is an insanely customer-focused company -- you are not going to find another company that makes more effort to go the extra mile for its customers. As noted by others, the issue here is that ANY change once the order has been sent to the factory is going to, at a minimum, slow things down and divert resources (i.e., people, supplies etc.) to some degree large or small. Car manufacturing is insanely complex, and the ordering of parts/supplies and the batching of cars is very difficult to do. Trying to pull one car out of the line to make one or another change, even if it's something "minor", is going to cause delays. Not only does this hurt "Tesla" by slowing down production for this year (knowing that getting as many cars out ASAP is a high priority), but hurts every other customer behind you in line who is (im)patiently waiting for their cars.

    So, as a customer-focused company, they have made the wise, logical utilitarian decision to do what is in the best interest of the most customers and not impede the speed with which the cars are being produced. The fact that they were able to do this on a few occasions during the ramp up is not really relevant -- things were going at a snail's pace then (tens of cars a week versus 400/week now), and in some instances (like AnOutsider), they had cars that were scrapped mid-production for one reason or another and, because of the slow production at the time, they were able to identify whose car was involved, inform them, and make adjustments accordingly.

    There are lots of things that Tesla doesn't do perfectly, or I wish they did differently, but I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with them saying that once you say "Finalize", your order is set, and they're not going to change it for anything, because any change is too disruptive, and if dozens or hundreds of people start asking for a "little latitude", it will materially impact their ability to make cars in a timely way, which is the opposite of what they should be doing.

    I'd just add that our friend dsm363 changed his mind on several occasions about his tires (gray, then silver, then gray again), only to end up exactly where he started. Don't have buyers remorse! The car is incredible and whatever choices you make you will be more than happy with the car. In your case, at worst, you can either sell your 21" tires to someone else, or you can have summer/winter tires. Either way, a win/win!
    Arnold,

    Thanks for your reasoned and well-articulated response. More so, thanks for talking me off the ledge! This whole process has been a little overwhelming for me. It was wait, wait, wait and all of a sudden it's hurry, hurry, hurry! I think I'll live and I'll be driving around with a wide Tesla grin in a matter of weeks! By the way, you're 100% correct regarding the quality of customer service. I've yet to have a conversation with anyone from TM that didn't leave me with a smile on my face. I think I'm suffering from an acute case of pre-Tesla delivery stress disorder!
    Last edited by jbherman; 12-12-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Typo
    P#5,371 VIN 3319--Performance 85kwh; pearl white; pano roof; black leather; CF interior; 21" silver wheels; tech & sound package; twin chargers--delivered 1/16/2013

    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

  5. #25
    Senior Member mknox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    I don't think this is a congruent example Mike...you had not signed a contract...the OP had.
    That is true. The dealer agreed to swap the wheels before I signed the purchase agreement. What I was thinking, however, is that a customer-focused company like Tesla could with relative ease change out the wheels before the car leaves the factory. I would have to imagine they have an inventory of 19's and 21's ready to mount.

    I would certainly agree that a change to something like the Tech Package or Air Suspension would be difficult in a car already speced or in production, but wheels are pretty easy to swap out as per my example.

  6. #26
    Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    That is true. The dealer agreed to swap the wheels before I signed the purchase agreement. What I was thinking, however, is that a customer-focused company like Tesla could with relative ease change out the wheels before the car leaves the factory. I would have to imagine they have an inventory of 19's and 21's ready to mount.
    Probably so. But I think the issue is that it would require someone from the customer service/delivery team getting a message (or going themselves) to the factory, finding the exact car that wants their wheels changed before the car heads out, getting the car flagged, getting it out of line, onto a lift so they can change the tires, changing the tires, and then putting it somewhere back in line. If you imagine this process as a well-oiled (no pun intended!) machine, once the order goes to the factory, everything is basically set in place including the parts and supplies needed to build the particular car (including tires), having them show up on the line at the proper time, and then once they're off the line and through inspection, getting it to logistics to be batched and sent to its eventual home.

    When I was (impatiently) waiting for my car, logistics was the hardest nut to crack in terms of communication, even internally, so it was difficult to find out when the car got on a truck, what truck it was on etc. Car hauling is very expensive and very complicated, so they need to plan days or weeks in advance, knowing what's coming down the line as they pump out 400 cars per week, so pulling a car out of line even early in the process and for a relatively short period of time could still cause issues.

    I'm sure if Tesla had a bunch of cars on the lot they'd be happy to switch the tires at the store prior to delivery. That's a million times easier than trying to do it during production.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Metro Boston, MA
    Posts
    15
    Hence the term "finalize". Enjoy the car.

  8. #28
    Senior Member mknox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    I'm sure if Tesla had a bunch of cars on the lot they'd be happy to switch the tires at the store prior to delivery. That's a million times easier than trying to do it during production.
    Fair enough. I suppose it is a different purchase and delivery model from the traditional "cars on the dealer lot" model.

  9. #29
    P85 & 40kw
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    510
    Enjoy the car, you may end up liking the 21's, worst case, you swap them with someone who has 19's and wants 21's. Won't get all of $3500 back at least it's something that can be easily changed (unlike paint color)
    VIN 2970 - P85, Blue, Black Roof, Grey 21's, CF interior, Spoiler, Black Leather, Tech, Air, Sound, Jump Seats.
    VIN 10610 - 40kw, Dolphin Grey, Black Roof, Silver 21's, Matte Obeche, Tan Leather, Tech, Air.

  10. #30
    Junior Member bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by sujayvora View Post
    Well good news first,

    P3189 Black/Textile/Tech/Air Suspension/Premium Sound/21 "

    Got the email about early delivery, wanted to go ahead.. However, I called 1st to request a change.

    I have had second thoughts about getting 21 " (more expensive, shorter tire life, rims more prone to damage from curbing, etc), and asked if I can switch to 19"
    After multiple phone calls and emails, got "no changes allowed once finalized". They told me that once the tires are put on, they can't be taken off (considered used)

    I realize that it is partially my fault for not making this decision earlier, but after seeing more posted pics with the 19", I liked the look.
    Compared with other potential requests, I would think this would be an easy swap out.
    Furthermore, I did see that someone else was able to change color, which I would think would be more difficult.

    Maybe I am being unreasonable because rules are rules, but given the fact that I am an early adopter , giving $5K 1.5 yrs ago, I thought I might catch a break.

    I am sure that this will wear off very quickly after I get the car.
    If you are in Southern California, I will be selling my 19"s soon after I take delivery some time in January (will be installing aftermarket wheels). I don't have a delivery window yet. If you're not in Southern California, I'm not sure how much of a pain/cost shipping would be. If you or anyone else is interested, just PM me!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •