Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So when do pick service plan etc.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

I took delivery about a couple of days ago at Fremont. One thing that was never mentioned (and I forgot to bring it up) was options of prepaying service, extending warranty, and prepaying battery replacement. Has anyone else who have taken delivery done this? If so, what was the process?

Will definitely prepay for service since I would pay for it anyway and there's a clear discount. I hope that we don't have to buy the extended warranty until the original warranty is close to ending, but will probably do it if needed. For me these two items are almost necessities given that we don't have a track record for mass produced Tesla's yet. Wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a car from a more establish manufacturer, but being an early adopter has risks and I see this as a reasonable way to mitigate those risks.

I'll pass on the battery replacement. I just won't have that much to spend after everything else. I am interested to see how that offer is written though regarding upgrades.

Will definitely prepay for service since I would pay for it anyway and there's a clear discount. I hope that we don't have to buy the extended warranty until the original warranty is close to ending, but will probably do it if needed. For me these two items are almost necessities given that we don't have a track record for mass produced Tesla's yet. Wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a car from a more establish manufacturer, but being an early adopter has risks and I see this as a reasonable way to mitigate those risks.

I'll pass on the battery replacement. I just won't have that much to spend after everything else. I am interested to see how that offer is written though regarding upgrades.
I concur.

Pretty much word for word how i intend to approach this

Me too. With the exception of the Battery Replacement thing has some incredible language about guaranteeing upgrades at a fixed cost, which I'm not expecting.

+1

My sentiments exactly. I will definitely be getting the pre-paid service plan with unlimited ranger service (since that's the only way I'll be able to service the car), and am strongly inclined to get the extended warranty but NOT if I have to pay for it up front. I get that Tesla probably needs the operating capital, but after shelling out DAMN NEAR $100,000 ON A CAR (which i still can't believe I'm about to do) I need to let the bank account recover a bit before extra expenses.

Tesla, please, please, please make the new extended warranty option something you can purchase any time before the original warranty runs out. My bank account and my ability to give you even more of my hard-earned money will thank you. ;-)

Got my S today and I asked. They said that they are not ready to sell these 3 items yet. They will email when they are available.

So I guess Ranger service is free for now, then?

Definitely signing up for the "anywhere" service plan given that I will always be using Ranger service. It's a great deal!

I didn't do the battery replacement plan for the Roadster, and I don't intend to do it on the Model S.

+1

My sentiments exactly. I will definitely be getting the pre-paid service plan with unlimited ranger service (since that's the only way I'll be able to service the car), and am strongly inclined to get the extended warranty but NOT if I have to pay for it up front. I get that Tesla probably needs the operating capital, but after shelling out DAMN NEAR $100,000 ON A CAR (which i still can't believe I'm about to do) I need to let the bank account recover a bit before extra expenses.

Tesla, please, please, please make the new extended warranty option something you can purchase any time before the original warranty runs out. My bank account and my ability to give you even more of my hard-earned money will thank you. ;-)

I strongly agree with you and SteveH. Most car manufacturers allow consumers to purchase extended warranties anytime before the original warranty expires. From a financial/cash planning standpoint, it does concern me that we do not know the answer to this question before we take delivery of our vehicles.

Thought I would prepay at least four years of service, but living in Silicon Valley I don't think rangers will be necessary.

Definitely extending the warranty too *cough doorhandles cough*.

Prepay new battery... nah... too soon.

Hi all,

I took delivery about a couple of days ago at Fremont. One thing that was never mentioned (and I forgot to bring it up) was options of prepaying service, extending warranty, and prepaying battery replacement. Has anyone else who have taken delivery done this? If so, what was the process?

Official word is here on the official forums:

How and when will I be able to order the Pre-Paid four-year Model S Service Plan? | Forums | Tesla Motors

You will have the ability to order this option through your My Tesla account at Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors. We plan to make this option available to purchase in December. We will send an “update email” to everyone when this option becomes available for purchase through My Tesla. If you have already taken delivery of your Model S when we send out the update email, you will have 30 days to sign up for the pre-paid option if you would like to do so. If you have not received your Model S when this email goes out, you will have 30 days after taking delivery to sign up if you choose to.

I seem to be with the majority here:
- Buy 4-year maintenance
- Buy 4-year Ranger coverage. Yes, I live only 10 miles from the SC, but $100/year bucks never to step inside a car service center again? That's a "bahgahn" (as we'd say around here). Plus, what if I'm traveling, or up in my summer place in Maine? Bahgahn.
- Plan to buy extended warranty and maintenance (presumably four years from now)
- Not buy the battery replacement. I'm an optimist that battery technology will move along enough that, in 8 years, $12k invested today will be worth more than a replacement battery net of the residual value of my 85kWh pack.

I seem to be with the majority here:
- Buy 4-year maintenance
- Buy 4-year Ranger coverage. Yes, I live only 10 miles from the SC, but $100/year bucks never to step inside a car service center again? That's a "bahgahn" (as we'd say around here). Plus, what if I'm traveling, or up in my summer place in Maine? Bahgahn.
- Plan to buy extended warranty and maintenance (presumably four years from now)
- Not buy the battery replacement. I'm an optimist that battery technology will move along enough that, in 8 years, $12k invested today will be worth more than a replacement battery net of the residual value of my 85kWh pack.

That's exactly my plan as well.