Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So when do pick service plan etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    I seem to be with the majority here:
    - Buy 4-year maintenance
    - Buy 4-year Ranger coverage. Yes, I live only 10 miles from the SC, but $100/year bucks never to step inside a car service center again? That's a "bahgahn" (as we'd say around here). Plus, what if I'm traveling, or up in my summer place in Maine? Bahgahn.
    - Plan to buy extended warranty and maintenance (presumably four years from now)
    - Not buy the battery replacement. I'm an optimist that battery technology will move along enough that, in 8 years, $12k invested today will be worth more than a replacement battery net of the residual value of my 85kWh pack.
    Just to clarify, does the anywhere/ranger plan eliminate the fee per mile for ranger travel that was previously described? That would be huge for me (and a no-brainer), as the nearest service center (opening in St. Louis in March 2013) will be 250 miles from Kansas City. Prior to that, I would have to service out of Chicago (about 500-525 miles).
    P#5,371 VIN 3319--Performance 85kwh; pearl white; pano roof; black leather; CF interior; 21" silver wheels; tech & sound package; twin chargers--delivered 1/16/2013

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbherman View Post
    Just to clarify, does the anywhere/ranger plan eliminate the fee per mile for ranger travel that was previously described? That would be huge for me (and a no-brainer), as the nearest service center (opening in St. Louis in March 2013) will be 250 miles from Kansas City. Prior to that, I would have to service out of Chicago (about 500-525 miles).
    It does. It's a $100 flat fee regardless of distance. Should work well for you then.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

So what are some guesses on what regular service involves? 1) Check tire pressure 2) Top off wiper fluid 3) Replace wiper blades 4) Clean schmoo out of cupholders? 5) Vacuum cheerios from out of back seat?

I'll probably get the full Ranger service plan due to my Central Virginia location but I'm a little disappointed in that it will wipe out any $ savings on gas over the (nearly maintenance free) Prius it will replace. I hope at least they'll be able to do the annual state inspections and remove that hassle from my life.

Everybody seems to concur with the service and extended warranty. I would think about the battery upgrade if there was a very good chance that a 500-1000 mile range battery was expected in the future. $12K would be worth an upgrade to a much higher range battery.
    "These go to eleven..."

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Discussion about the battery replacement option specifically should go here: Official: Replacement Battery Option

Quote Originally Posted by Plug Me In View Post
    So what are some guesses on what regular service involves? 1) Check tire pressure 2) Top off wiper fluid 3) Replace wiper blades 4) Clean schmoo out of cupholders? 5) Vacuum cheerios from out of back seat?

I'll probably get the full Ranger service plan due to my Central Virginia location but I'm a little disappointed in that it will wipe out any $ savings on gas over the (nearly maintenance free) Prius it will replace. I hope at least they'll be able to do the annual state inspections and remove that hassle from my life.
    I suspect you'll be rather ashamed of posting that after you watch your first Ranger inspection and/or service.

As for the comparison: If offered a one-for-one swap for your Prius at the same annual cost, would you have taken it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Me In View Post

You can find extended discussion about what will likely be included in the service plan here Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)). As you'll see, it's a little more comprehensive than what you list.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    I seem to be with the majority here:
    - Buy 4-year maintenance
    - Buy 4-year Ranger coverage. Yes, I live only 10 miles from the SC, but $100/year bucks never to step inside a car service center again? That's a "bahgahn" (as we'd say around here). Plus, what if I'm traveling, or up in my summer place in Maine? Bahgahn.
    - Plan to buy extended warranty and maintenance (presumably four years from now)
    - Not buy the battery replacement. I'm an optimist that battery technology will move along enough that, in 8 years, $12k invested today will be worth more than a replacement battery net of the residual value of my 85kWh pack.
    Robert, I'm curious about the timing on purchasing extensions on the warranty and service plan, as well as the battery replacement. I haven't seen mention by TM regarding deadlines for purchasing these. Any idea? Typically, a car warranty or service plan extension can be purchased anytime prior to the expiration of the original plan.
    2013 Model S Performance
    VIN 5348, Delivered 3/9/13
    Pearl White, Black, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon, Tech, Sound, Twin Chargers

P#3820
    Does anyone know if the 4 year and extended warranties are transferable if sell the car sometime in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddRLockwood View Post
    Robert, I'm curious about the timing on purchasing extensions on the warranty and service plan, as well as the battery replacement. I haven't seen mention by TM regarding deadlines for purchasing these. Any idea? Typically, a car warranty or service plan extension can be purchased anytime prior to the expiration of the original plan.
    The word I got from the Service Rep in Florida is that, as Floridians, we have 30 days after the original warranty expires to sign up for the extended. Nothing in writting yet, just word of mouth.

Thread Information