Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Finalize" concerns

"Finalize" concerns

At 11,395, I was expecting a "finalize" email in February with a May/June delivery. Well here it is, Dec. 11, and 10,6XX has gotten notice. At the rate it's going, I will likely be this month as well. WAY early. While all this is exciting, it also leaves me concerned. I'm concerned that 1. There have been an enormous amount of cancellations or 2. Tesla is fulfilling reservations far faster than it receives them. My hope is that Tesla is jumping wildly out of order and cherry picking the 85kwh holders like myself. Of course this makes sense since neither the 40 nor 60kwh are in production, but is this really the case and did THAT many people choose those packs? Also, no one on this board seems to be complaining about being passed over, leaving me to think people truly are being contacted in order. I invite anyone to offer thoughts.
    VIN 44XX
    85kwh, blue, 19", non-pano, black leather w/Obeche gloss, child seats

Good grief. Now we have people complaining that they are getting their cars too fast!

Everyone who initially ordered a car was offered an upgrade to the Signature series when it was announced. It makes sense most people who were thinking of the larger battery pack anyways went that route. If Tesla is now close to producing 400 cars a week then they are likely blowing through the 85kwh orders very quickly.

It could be all the above.... Or just a good way to keep the supply chain humming. Or just a nice cash flow bump from the next installment payment due. Really doubt cancellations are any issue at all. Just my opinion.
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

I assume you got the email that said that all current reservation holders would be invited to finalize before the end of January (and that's up to over 15000). Reservation holders are definitely being contacted in order, since they have no idea what you're ordering until you finalize (I switch what's in my "Garage" all the time). You forgot possibility 3: They're getting people to commit earlier because of the price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Good grief. Now we have people complaining that they are getting their cars too fast!
    Trust me, I want my car 2 years ago. My initial concern was that Tesla may have a hard time sustaining the 20K/year numbers. That scenario would threaten the viability of the company long term. That is all.
    VIN 44XX

New reservations are coming in at a rate above 20K/year and increasing. Tesla is running two shifts, so it's much more likely that they're planning to increase production to at least 30K/yr rather than that hordes of people have mysteriously canceled. We do know they had quite a few cancelations out of the early reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by gregincal View Post
    New reservations are coming in at a rate above 20K/year and increasing. Tesla is running two shifts, so it's much more likely that they're planning to increase production to at least 30K/yr rather than that hordes of people have mysteriously canceled. We do know they had quite a few cancelations out of the early reservations.
    This I can understand. Toss in international orders and that should float the company(I hope). I can also understand a higher cancellation rate amongst early adopters. That's a LONG wait abound with uncertainty. The more cars this company gets out the door with minimal problems the more buyers it should attract. It's like when man discovered flight. People will be hesitant until it's commonplace.
    VIN 44XX

Im pretty certain that the production ramp up is well into a smooth flow by now, especially the clues you get with cars being backlogged at service centers being delivered, I have discussed with people on this thread that the numbers just don't add up. But if you take all the pieces and put them together, 40 and 60 being built in spring, red being offered some where around March I believe that obviously some are deffering for. If i ran the plant I would cherry pick exactly what I could build and blast away, especially being 4th QTR and turning the corner with a fledgling company. This is the first I have heard of 10,6xx getting notification, I am 10,729 COMMON EMAIL, I am an 85.

Model S5,651, Model X109
    Also, lets not confuse the "Finalize your order" email with the "your car is ready" email. Once you get the finalize email, you've got a month to actually finalize and then a wait of probably several months before your car will be ready. Apparently there is some craziness going on right now because they're only set up for the 85+air combo and they only want to build cars for people who are willing/able to take delivery ASAP.

In brief, I expect things to go back to normal shortly.
    Model S Performance, VIN 02595. Blue, Tan, Matte Obeche. Best car I've ever driven.

Well i think that is exacly the reason for the email rush, trying to cherry pick the 85's so production can just sing along. Of course same will happen once they start building 40's and 60's.

Thread Information