Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: Rural areas w/o 3G service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've seen, if you have the Nav option to enable turn-by-turn directions, you can get that working in the instrument cluster. But it is a bit of a pain to enter in the destination, as first the touchpad wants to attempt a google search over 3G.

Really wish there was a completely independent way to use the Navigon vs Google search / routing. I'd prefer a way to have the Navigon display enabled even when a route isn't in use. That and many other nav features, I need to stop before I rant myself into a thread hijacking! :redface:

Well, if my 3G dies again, I'll try and see how well the nav behaves, as I would hope that the entire Navigon map set is stored locally. Be nice if they gave access to POI data so that you can find the nearest eatery/mall/rest area/park w/o having 3G operational, but I don't think that is there now.

The navigation software is "Navigon", which is a Hamburg, Germany-based company that Garmin acquired in June of 2011. They seem to be operating as a subsidiary and haven't shed the Navigon branding from their products.

Interesting. So is there actually integration between Google Maps and the Navigon software? Or is the Google map just an independent location display?

Interesting. So is there actually integration between Google Maps and the Navigon software? Or is the Google map just an independent location display?

Based on my short experience during test drives the Google Maps data is used for POI searches as well as the primary screen display. Once you select to navigate to a destination it sends that destination information to the Navigon app which runs on the separate Tegra-2 based system in the dashboard. This also leads to another interesting result of this mashup. The Google Maps data is distinctly different than the mapping data in Navigon which leverages Navteq maps. (Navteq ended up being acquired by Nokia in October of 2007). Especially outside of the United States there can be dramatic differences in mapping data accuracy. Just look at the drama this week with Apple Maps and folks in Australia needing police rescue.

So to navigate us we have Google, Garmin/Navigon, and Navteq/Nokia all with some role. Better than a static DVD-based system in any case.

The 4.0 release notes state "Note: This feature requires connectivity". My guess is they licensed the service based offering from Nuance who is the leader in this space. Both iOS and Android require connectivity for similar functionality.

hmmm I thought my Android phone needed connectivity until I left mobile data off and tried using it without. Worked like a charm without internet access.

Based on my short experience during test drives the Google Maps data is used for POI searches as well as the primary screen display. Once you select to navigate to a destination it sends that destination information to the Navigon app which runs on the separate Tegra-2 based system in the dashboard. This also leads to another interesting result of this mashup. The Google Maps data is distinctly different than the mapping data in Navigon which leverages Navteq maps. (Navteq ended up being acquired by Nokia in October of 2007). Especially outside of the United States there can be dramatic differences in mapping data accuracy. Just look at the drama this week with Apple Maps and folks in Australia needing police rescue.

So to navigate us we have Google, Garmin/Navigon, and Navteq/Nokia all with some role. Better than a static DVD-based system in any case.

Interesting. I wonder how the Navteq maps get updated? During a regular car OS update?

I wonder if it will be possible to change the Garmin/Navigon voice?

I'm curious about the nav update as well. With the tech package it says you get 7 years of free updates. What happens after that?

If you have Google search in real-time through 3G, are the updates that important? Perhaps it's only for turn-by-turn navigation since it's not through Google. But roads don't really change that frequently as do POI's.