Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nav System: Rural areas w/o 3G service

Model S P85 - VIN#2589
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddRLockwood View Post
    Interesting. So is there actually integration between Google Maps and the Navigon software? Or is the Google map just an independent location display?
    Based on my short experience during test drives the Google Maps data is used for POI searches as well as the primary screen display. Once you select to navigate to a destination it sends that destination information to the Navigon app which runs on the separate Tegra-2 based system in the dashboard. This also leads to another interesting result of this mashup. The Google Maps data is distinctly different than the mapping data in Navigon which leverages Navteq maps. (Navteq ended up being acquired by Nokia in October of 2007). Especially outside of the United States there can be dramatic differences in mapping data accuracy. Just look at the drama this week with Apple Maps and folks in Australia needing police rescue.

So to navigate us we have Google, Garmin/Navigon, and Navteq/Nokia all with some role. Better than a static DVD-based system in any case.

Blog Entries
    Will the voice commands not work?
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Model S P85 - VIN#2589
    Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    Will the voice commands not work?
    The 4.0 release notes state "Note: This feature requires connectivity". My guess is they licensed the service based offering from Nuance who is the leader in this space. Both iOS and Android require connectivity for similar functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by kitk View Post
    The 4.0 release notes state "Note: This feature requires connectivity". My guess is they licensed the service based offering from Nuance who is the leader in this space. Both iOS and Android require connectivity for similar functionality.
    hmmm I thought my Android phone needed connectivity until I left mobile data off and tried using it without. Worked like a charm without internet access.
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by kitk View Post
    Based on my short experience during test drives the Google Maps data is used for POI searches as well as the primary screen display. Once you select to navigate to a destination it sends that destination information to the Navigon app which runs on the separate Tegra-2 based system in the dashboard. This also leads to another interesting result of this mashup. The Google Maps data is distinctly different than the mapping data in Navigon which leverages Navteq maps. (Navteq ended up being acquired by Nokia in October of 2007). Especially outside of the United States there can be dramatic differences in mapping data accuracy. Just look at the drama this week with Apple Maps and folks in Australia needing police rescue.

So to navigate us we have Google, Garmin/Navigon, and Navteq/Nokia all with some role. Better than a static DVD-based system in any case.
    Interesting. I wonder how the Navteq maps get updated? During a regular car OS update?

I wonder if it will be possible to change the Garmin/Navigon voice?
    2013 Model S Performance
    VIN 5348, Delivered 3/9/13
    Pearl White, Black, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon, Tech, Sound, Twin Chargers

I'm curious about the nav update as well. With the tech package it says you get 7 years of free updates. What happens after that?

If you have Google search in real-time through 3G, are the updates that important? Perhaps it's only for turn-by-turn navigation since it's not through Google. But roads don't really change that frequently as do POI's.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I'm curious about the nav update as well. With the tech package it says you get 7 years of free updates. What happens after that?
    Unless the updates are very reasonable (e.g. $10 - $20) You don't upgrade unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Model S P85 - VIN#2589
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Unless the updates are very reasonable (e.g. $10 - $20) You don't upgrade unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.
    For what appears to be the same map data from Navteq there is a $19.99 USD charge for 24 months of quarterly updates from Navigon on their iPhone app.

Thread Information