Thread: Idea: driving achievements

#14,427

Idea: driving achievements

Since Model S is aware of its position, what's around (sorta), and when it's charging, why not make a game out of this? It shouldn't be hard for the computer to monitor when you do certain things and award you "points" for your "accomplishments". I was thinking that there should be levels for each achievement (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond?) based on powers of two (digial counting, for 2/4/8/16/32) times/minutes/iterations/visits.

So how about this: the nav knows where all national and state parks are. Actually it could know about just about anything Google knows about. So when the car powers off, it checks where it's at and if the place you parked is reasonably close to a certain type of place: parks, supercharging stations, national monuments, various sight-seeing spots. You get points for the visit if you're there for at least, say, 30 minutes.

There's also a lot of info the car has on driving characteristics. So how about points for sustained kW/mile values? How about travelling at constant 55MPH for certain amounts of time? How about achieving certain distances on a single charge? How about recharging the battery from < 10% to > 90% some number of times?

There are so many possibilities! This could make driving a lot of fun, and give people bragging rights. After all, the car is internet-connected, and can update an online scoreboard with a user's point accumulation (if opted in).

Thoughts?

Model S - P3078
    I can see it now...

Officer: You do know why I pulled you over, right?
    Driver: Yep! I just got an achievement for running over that old lady! It was worth 100 points.
    Officer: Well, the kid on the skateboard would have been worth 250, why didn't you go for him instead?

All kidding aside, I could see some problems arising from this. Drivers not being safe trying to go for a drive for x minutes at y speed... sounds like an accident waiting to happen. At the same time, sounds like there could be something in that.

P03755 - 60 kWh, Green, Pano Roof, 21" Wheels, Tan Leather/Piano Black, Tech, Sound, Active Air, Twin Chargers, Paint Armor

Quote Originally Posted by David-El View Post
    I can see it now...

Officer: You do know why I pulled you over, right?
    Driver: Yep! I just got an achievement for running over that old lady! It was worth 100 points.
    Officer: Well, the kid on the skateboard would have been worth 250, why didn't you go for him instead?

All kidding aside, I could see some problems arising from this. Drivers not being safe trying to go for a drive for x minutes at y speed... sounds like an accident waiting to happen. At the same time, sounds like there could be something in that.
    I wonder if they will add a 'Gouranga!' achievement.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

I made it to work today using under 300 whr / mile !!!
    I think it was 260 maybe.
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - classic grey & wood Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Quote Originally Posted by elreydetodo View Post
    Since Model S is aware of its position, what's around (sorta), and when it's charging, why not make a game out of this? It shouldn't be hard for the computer to monitor when you do certain things and award you "points" for your "accomplishments". I was thinking that there should be levels for each achievement (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond?) based on powers of two (digial counting, for 2/4/8/16/32) times/minutes/iterations/visits.

How about travelling at constant 55MPH for certain amounts of time? ...
    With and without CC, presumably!

Thread Information