Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts says Tesla can sell cars there

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. They are the manufacturer, I guess they have no problem with that one.
2. They will sell you a "used" Roadster, they meet requirement #2. They will take your vehicle in trade, albeit through a third party.
3. They have their repair facility in Watertown. They don't really "sell" cars per se in the Natick mall, it's more an education center.

I don't expect the MA auto dealers association to give up, they are a tenacious bunch. Doesn't matter though, they've already lost the battle to consumer sentiment.. Most consumers prefer Teslas model to the current "stealership" sales process anyway.

Slid under that one.

I think that site's wording is incorrect. From the actual books:

...and provided further, that such dealer maintains or demonstrates access to repair facilities sufficient to enable him to satisfy the warranty repair obligations imposed by section 7N1/4 of chapter 90, and shall remain liable for all warranty repairs made and other obligations imposed by said section 7N1/4 of said chapter 90.

And skimming Chapter 90 7N1/4 I didn't see anything relevant about location.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking Texas is a harder nut to crack. So what is a Class 1 Auto Sales License anyhow?

The long version: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section58

And also relevant was section 59: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section59

Another section was referenced but I don't recall what it was offhand and it's WAY too late for me to research it now. Tesla counsel said it was saying basically the same thing as Section 58's Class 1 requirements.

GreenCarReports article on same.

- - - Updated - - -

And skimming Chapter 90 7N1/4 I didn't see anything relevant about location.
You're correct, Ben. That's why I made sure, in my comments to the Board, to point out that Ira Audi has its sales location in Peabody but its service center in Danvers. While the two locations are only about a mile away, its the exception that proves that there is no legal requirement to have co-located sales and service. I expect most dealers colocate for three reasons:
  1. It's easier to maintain;
  2. Clerical and other staff can support both sides (e.g. cashier);
  3. Service customers cooling their heels while their cars are being repaired can browse the new cars. (Which is kind of odd, if you think about it: "You're here with your BMW to be serviced yet again; wouldn't you like to inflict yourself to more of the same?")

I don't expect the MA auto dealers association to give up, they are a tenacious bunch. Doesn't matter though, they've already lost the battle to consumer sentiment.. Most consumers prefer Teslas model to the current "stealership" sales process anyway.

AMEN! I guess at some "level" it's just business. It's certainly not the number 1 reason i have 2 reservations and will definitely buy the truck if it ever comes to fruition but these people DISGUST me. Some of the worst days of my life have been spent at car dealerships. I believe in my heart that Tesla is and WILL be different. I pray that I'm right. Really, I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
TSLA Investor Discussions - Page 396

Fallout from the Massachusettes dealers lawsuit being eviscerated a few weeks ago, IMHO. The application was being slow-walked to give the dealers time to fight it out in court. That litigation has now been reduced to zombie status, and once dismissed Tesla would be free to put legal pressure on Natick for holding up an application for reasons already dismissed by the courts. So this is just them recognizing reality.

Natick selectmen grant license to Tesla cars - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Presumably, the next move for the dealers will be to tap friendly legislaters to move a bill modeled on the one passed in Colorado. But that is a year away, assuming it can even succeed.

Something about this made me chuckle.
Robert O’Koniewski, the association’s executive vice president, said it opposes the legislation."The whole system of franchise law is to ensure a legitimate dealer-manufacturer relationship," he said.

O’Koniewski said the franchise system has created competition among dealers of Ford or Chevrolet or other brands "ensuring consumers really get a fair shake in the process."