Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Massachusetts says Tesla can sell cars there

Massachusetts says Tesla can sell cars there

In a win for common sense and consumers, Elon tweeted some good news: Twitter

"Tesla was just approved for a full Class 1 Massachusetts Auto Sales License by a vote of 4 to 1. Much appreciated!"

Texas is next?

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking Texas is a harder nut to crack. So what is a Class 1 Auto Sales License anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    I'm thinking Texas is a harder nut to crack. So what is a Class 1 Auto Sales License anyhow?
    Bwuhioho

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Massachusetts Auto Dealer Licensing Requirements at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Class I: This is for a dealer selling new vehicles. To obtain a Class I license, you need to meet the following qualifications:

Be an agent of a new vewhicle manufacturer or have a contract with a manufacturer to sell new vehicles.
    Sell used vehicles as an incidental or secondary part of the business.
    Have repair facilities on site that allow repairs to vehicles under warranty.
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.11, 28,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

Have repair facilities on site that allow repairs to vehicles under warranty.
    Slid under that one.

1. They are the manufacturer, I guess they have no problem with that one.
    2. They will sell you a "used" Roadster, they meet requirement #2. They will take your vehicle in trade, albeit through a third party.
    3. They have their repair facility in Watertown. They don't really "sell" cars per se in the Natick mall, it's more an education center.

I don't expect the MA auto dealers association to give up, they are a tenacious bunch. Doesn't matter though, they've already lost the battle to consumer sentiment.. Most consumers prefer Teslas model to the current "stealership" sales process anyway.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

This is good. Wendy if you see this we are thrilled for you and all there, and glad you took a full year lease!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Slid under that one.
    I think that site's wording is incorrect. From the actual books:

...and provided further, that such dealer maintains or demonstrates access to repair facilities sufficient to enable him to satisfy the warranty repair obligations imposed by section 7N1/4 of chapter 90, and shall remain liable for all warranty repairs made and other obligations imposed by said section 7N1/4 of said chapter 90.
    And skimming Chapter 90 7N1/4 I didn't see anything relevant about location.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    The long version: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section58

And also relevant was section 59: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section59

Another section was referenced but I don't recall what it was offhand and it's WAY too late for me to research it now. Tesla counsel said it was saying basically the same thing as Section 58's Class 1 requirements.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    GreenCarReports article on same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    And skimming Chapter 90 7N1/4 I didn't see anything relevant about location.
    You're correct, Ben. That's why I made sure, in my comments to the Board, to point out that Ira Audi has its sales location in Peabody but its service center in Danvers. While the two locations are only about a mile away, its the exception that proves that there is no legal requirement to have co-located sales and service. I expect most dealers colocate for three reasons:
    1. It's easier to maintain;
    2. Clerical and other staff can support both sides (e.g. cashier);
    3. Service customers cooling their heels while their cars are being repaired can browse the new cars. (Which is kind of odd, if you think about it: "You're here with your BMW to be serviced yet again; wouldn't you like to inflict yourself to more of the same?")

Thread Information