Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs in a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps get them lightly shaved and then washed first? MY Lab sheds like crazy, but after a fresh shave, not only does she look more adorable, but we get about a week of no significant shedding.

Never. Negative. Nope. Cooper gets the Armada if anything (hates rides). He jumps out of the Gator every chance he gets when we run the property. If it were just hair, fine. But, literally, five seconds after you get his nails to a decent length, they have grown razors.

Not my leather.

Get in that Armada that has pen, crayon, and french fry lines all over it.

+ 1 to AnOutsider's tip
Also, I bought this $20 rolled up carpet from Home Depot and cut it up to the shape of the trunk of my current car, leaving some flaps. That seems to do the trick catching most of remaining hairs and mud. Plan to do something similar with my Model X in the future; hoping they keep the flatness of trunk + folded 3rd row.

We have one of these: Large Dog Throws and Pet Blankets by Crypton at Home that we lay on the folded down seat. We use the 60/40 split seat so baby is in the middle and dog on the 40 side folded down with the blanket on it. She went on her first ride last night and although put her paws on the window sill the sill looks no worse for wear. But my girl has almost no hair so don't have to worry about shedding.

Brookie_S_Ts.sized.jpg

I think a pet crate is your best bet, really. I've seen custom divider barriers to separate the cargo area from the last seat, but that seems to do nothing for the finish up to the window sill. I have metal wire crates and they do have a lot more air flow, so it will probably make them more comfortable for temperature, but will also allow gossamer tufts of shag to ascend into the breathable air in the cabin. Also, going to the extra effort of spending $50 on some heavy rubber flooring and trimming to fit would be a worthwhile investment if you make lots of trips with the dogs. I agree with the suggestion of brushing along with some pet clothes as well, but I think dogs shed the most from their underside and rear.

I know a Roadster owner with a very keen eye for detail. He had a custom made body suit for the dog for when he had to ride in the Roadster. The dog looked like a superhero sidekick.

A morph suit? I like that idea...

- - - Updated - - -

We have one of these: Large Dog Throws and Pet Blankets by Crypton at Home that we lay on the folded down seat. We use the 60/40 split seat so baby is in the middle and dog on the 40 side folded down with the blanket on it. She went on her first ride last night and although put her paws on the window sill the sill looks no worse for wear. But my girl has almost no hair so don't have to worry about shedding.

View attachment 12674

You must have one of the Wegman designs, judging from your pretty Weimaraner. I have one in toile for a leather chair that my terrier is fond of.

My dogs wont go for the tight clothes, at least one of them won't. I do have a decent bit of car carpet left over from doing the rear floor mat and will probably cover the back area regardless of dogs. I'm thinking something enclosed somewhat so they don't 'stand' on the window sills of the rear doors, and to keep noses off of the alcantara roof.

I haven't shaved my dogs ever but that may help. They have the German shepherd double coat and lots of hair.

I haven't shaved my dogs ever but that may help. They have the German shepherd double coat and lots of hair.

BTW, when I first shaved my dog, I'd held out for a long time because I didn't want her to look like Mr Bigglesworth. In the end, she looked the same, just with shorter hair (she wasn't at all bald). She also always seems to be extremely happy (and vain) afterward ;)

I took my 8 pound cockapoo with me to visit relatives this most recent weekend. He was well behaved but I should get a cage for the future. Towels on the seats don't stay. I was anxious the whole trip. No damage done. 400 mile round trip over two days.

You can get a rubber mat from these guys:

http://matmycar.com/products/custom_vehicle_floor_mats/rubbertite/

It's a little odd, but you need to select 2013 for the model year in order to get the Model S options. I've ordered a whole set of these things and I'll let you know what they look like when they, and my car, get here.

Those prices totally beat doing it yourself with a roll of rubber from this place. Thank you very much for the link!

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/

Reactions: BEEZR
I started making the dog carpet for the back of my S
DSC006181.jpg

you can see the carabener that is attached to the rear seat latch which holds the carpet up and flat.
DSC006191.jpg

It started raining So I didn't quite finish the second piece that covers the front area but it is all cut and I just need to do clips for the front corners
Just upside down carpet like I used for the floors/ rear and the center
DSC006171.jpg

I think I'll do the driver and passenger floors too. It looks a lot better

Here is the front part
DSC00643.jpg
DSC00639.jpg

really just meant for travel with the dogs since it takes a couple of minutes to unroll and put the screws through the wood and carpet for stiffness in the front
we will find out how it works this weekend

Last edited:
You can get a rubber mat from these guys:

http://matmycar.com/products/custom_vehicle_floor_mats/rubbertite/

It's a little odd, but you need to select 2013 for the model year in order to get the Model S options. I've ordered a whole set of these things and I'll let you know what they look like when they, and my car, get here.

Those are good. I like the raised outer lips on the Weathertechs. However, from other posts they wont be available for the Model S for a while.