Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for owners who are waiting for the HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anzir

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2012
Central Florida
On the wait list for the HPWC and have the Tesla-recommended setup with the 6-50 adapter to charge the S right now.

1) If you have the same setup, what are you getting in MPH charging? I am seeing 15.

2) Planning a road trip that is 175 miles, all highway. Should I do a range charge? What is the safest way to do a range charge without causing too much battery life depletion? Is it best to drive it as soon as the charge is finished?

3) Any update on HPWC delivery?

Thanks in advance!

On the wait list for the HPWC and have the Tesla-recommended setup with the 6-50 adapter to charge the S right now.

1) If you have the same setup, what are you getting in MPH charging? I am seeing 15.

2) Planning a road trip that is 175 miles, all highway. Should I do a range charge? What is the safest way to do a range charge without causing too much battery life depletion? Is it best to drive it as soon as the charge is finished?

Thanks in advance!
1) Do you have 4.0 yet? If not, does the remaining charge under your speedometer read Projected or Rated?

Edit: With <= v1.15.14, I saw <= 20 mph charge rate (based on Projected). With the forced shift to Rated with v1.17.50, I now see 21 mph. In both cases that's for 240V/40A.

2) All I can advise is what I would do. I would stick with Standard (not range) charge for any distance below 200 miles, unless there's a snow storm involved. I have confidence I can restrain myself so that it will make 200 miles safely even when hilly. And I'm overprotective of my battery (so far at least) ... trying to avoid range charging as much as possible.

3) In October, I heard November. In November, I heard December. I stopped asking. People that have asked in December have heard January.

Last edited:
I see 22 mph when I charge. As I'm still new to EV life, I do a range charge when I think I'm going to be doing a lot of driving personally. Haven't heard anything new on the hpwc since "late December".

I see 31 and "10kW" charge rate, just what the specs say. Car also shows 40A/238V. Now, to be certain, this is peak charge rate and it slows down as the battery charges. I saw 10kW when I was down to less than 100 miles range.

Also when I did my first Range charge (with 4.0 sw) it showed 310 "Ideal" miles range! Yes!

I see 31 and "10kW" charge rate, just what the specs say. Car also shows 40A/238V. Now, to be certain, this is peak charge rate and it slows down as the battery charges. I saw 10kW when I was down to less than 100 miles range.

Also when I did my first Range charge (with 4.0 sw) it showed 310 "Ideal" miles range! Yes!
I'm confused why you're seeing 31mph. Also, where are you seeing 10kW in the UI?

If this is round trip, you should not need to range charge. If not, you will need to plan for where and how you can charge to make it back home!

3) In October, I heard November. In November, I heard December. I stopped asking. People that have asked in December have heard January.

When Solar City called me about installation, I was like "um...I heard they were delayed and not available yet?" and the guy seemed confused or seemed to think I was wrong--that they are going to be able to install things. They're calling me Wednesday to go into detail on planning install, but I'm thinking they're on crack, based on what I read in the forums here. What the heck?! ;-)

The display starts low and builds up, it appears to be an average over a time period. As the car starts charging, it ramps up the amps (hey, that rhymes!) and the miles per hour of charge seems to lag. My home is at ~250V unloaded, ~245V loaded @ 40A, which is 9.8 kW. That gives me 31 miles per hour of charge, if you look at it after about 30 minutes of charging. If you're charging at 40A/240V you should be at about 30 miles per hour. If you're charging at 40A/208V (condos/industrial buildings), you should be at about 25-26 miles per hour.
Depends on how you drive. I'm getting about 200-220 miles @ 65-70 mph given my typical driving on a range charge. It is best if you drive as soon as the range charge is complete, but one range charge overnight isn't going to hurt here/there. Don't drag your butt out of bed at 3 am to start the range charge. :)
Reportedly, they ship this month (from my DS in mid-November).

Thanks for the responses! I'll double check the connection but now that I think about it, it was close to finishing the charge, hence the low number. Now I know.

In regards to the trip, as long as there is no traffic it should be good for a standard charge. I've got the charge point app so I can find some juice in a pinch.

Thanks again!

I don't see mine taper off (at least not more than a few amps) towards the end of a standard charge.

The display starts low and builds up, it appears to be an average over a time period. As the car starts charging, it ramps up the amps (hey, that rhymes!) and the miles per hour of charge seems to lag. My home is at ~250V unloaded, ~245V loaded @ 40A, which is 9.8 kW. That gives me 31 miles per hour of charge, if you look at it after about 30 minutes of charging. If you're charging at 40A/240V you should be at about 30 miles per hour. If you're charging at 40A/208V (condos/industrial buildings), you should be at about 25-26 miles per hour.

This is what I'm seeing.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused why you're seeing 31mph. Also, where are you seeing 10kW in the UI?

You can change your preference for distance vs. power in the UI.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have your preferences set to show ideal range instead of rated range, you'll see even higher numbers. So for comparison, make sure you're set for Rated range (240 for full standard or 265-275 for full range)

Tesla announced that the HPWC would start shipping in December 2012. I asked our configuration contact about it and he confirmed December. Our car will not be produced until February or March of 2013 so I asked him if the HPWC might be shipped far in advance of the car. He informed us that these units would be shipped in the same sequence as the orders were placed. Because I have no idea how many people ordering the car included the HPWC I am still unsure about when it will arrive. I am traveling to western Washington tomorrow and intend to ask at the Tesla Store in Bellevue. I am hopeful that many car buyers did not order the HPWC so that we can at least get it soon. Finished the 100 Amp branch to the garage last week. The electrician included an NEMA 14-50 outlet which is functioning now.

He informed us that these units would be shipped in the same sequence as the orders were placed.

This is interesting to me, as this is a very different order than the order in which cars are being delivered. I am an early order but won't receive my car until a bit later due to my battery option. Wonder if I will get the HPWC before others that had their car delivered before mine.

Cheers.

This is interesting to me, as this is a very different order than the order in which cars are being delivered. I am an early order but won't receive my car until a bit later due to my battery option. Wonder if I will get the HPWC before others that had their car delivered before mine.

Cheers.

Most likely it will be in the sequence of the delivered orders. Although getting the HPWC ready will just make the wait for the car that much more unbearable!