Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey florida. Little Help! Birmingham to miami for bcs in my roadster, maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So IF it was full amperage at the campground (not everything is as advertised), it would be more like 6.5 hours. Still not acceptable. However, your car will charge faster the first half than the second half. If you charge to about 50-60% & then stop again at another campground, it will be less than 6.5 hours total. Remember, at the last place you charge before your destination for the night, you only need to charge enough miles to get the next leg.

Stop to eat, pick a place where you can plug in. Need to stretch your legs? Same thing. My last roadtrip pretty much used 70 amp HPCs, but I've had others where I relied on both 30amp and RV parks.

If you can find owners along your route, then you might find HPCs to use. But most of us are happy with NEMA 14-50 service. Have you searched the different sites like recargo.com, plugshare, etc?

http://binged.it/VJHtIE
749.3 miles
11 hr 36 min

749.3 miles / 11.6 hours ~= 64.6 mph

Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
At 65mph, it looks like the Roadster range is indeed 200 miles as you noted.

High Power Wall Connector | Charging Solutions | Tesla Motors
Charging rate of 56 miles range per hour at max power

Assuming an initial range charge, you'll have to refill a minimum 549.3 miles of charge if you want to reach your destination.

Let's assume you don't have to detour at all to reach the chargers when needed and that they're running at max power.

549.3 / 56 ~= 9.8 hours of charging

11.6 + 9.8 = 21.4 hours
So theoretically you could do it in 1 day if you found available max power chargers along the way without detouring.

Drop to 30A, that brings your charge time to 22.9 hours.

11.6 + 22.9 = 34.5 hours

So yeah you can do it in two days (with a good 8 hr sleep) even with 30A 14-50R as your only charging spots with about 5 hours to spare.

Of course, if you really meant like 36 hours (i.e. "within 2 days but only 1 night") it would be tight and you'd be very tired.

Unless my math is mangled.

Am i misinterpreting the charging rate? Doesn't the mc 240 limit the charging to 30 amps? Something like 10 hours to a full charge?
The calculations assume 30 amp - you still have the 40 amp option. Have you checked the charging station location applications?
Are you suggesting he acquire (or borrow) a different connector that allows for 40A? Or is he wrong about the "mc 240"?

Here's the cord that's coming with the roadster. I don't know yet if it was upgraded and at what rate it charges but says 30amp limit

image.jpg