Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey florida. Little Help! Birmingham to miami for bcs in my roadster, maybe

Hey florida. Little Help! Birmingham to miami for bcs in my roadster, maybe

Hey Gang.
    having my roadster delivered soon and seeing if birmingham to miami is possible. I think my only shot is to use hpc's along the way.
    Thanks
    "quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
    who is watching the watcher

Blog Entries
    What about using 14-50s at RV parks along the way?
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Hey bonnie,
    looking into that as well but my car is just coming with the mc 240 30 amps, would take too long i think.

14-50's at RV parks are 50 amps, what do you need, I am on 27 in sebring and have a 14-50 u can use. I have no knowledge of how the Roaster is different, Robert

Am i misinterpreting the charging rate? Doesn't the mc 240 limit the charging to 30 amps? Something like 10 hours to a full charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamashrink View Post
    Am i misinterpreting the charging rate? Doesn't the mc 240 limit the charging to 30 amps? Something like 10 hours to a full charge?
    Suppose it does. Is 10 hours "far more" than a good night's sleep for you? If not, just plug in before dinner and unplug after breakfest.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Blog Entries
    My UMC limits to 40 amp. I charge on a NEMA 14-50 & draw 40.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I'll need to make the trip in 2 days, approx 800 miles. Dont think i can do that if i have to drive 200 miles and charge for 10 hours. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Blog Entries
    So IF it was full amperage at the campground (not everything is as advertised), it would be more like 6.5 hours. Still not acceptable. However, your car will charge faster the first half than the second half. If you charge to about 50-60% & then stop again at another campground, it will be less than 6.5 hours total. Remember, at the last place you charge before your destination for the night, you only need to charge enough miles to get the next leg.

Stop to eat, pick a place where you can plug in. Need to stretch your legs? Same thing. My last roadtrip pretty much used 70 amp HPCs, but I've had others where I relied on both 30amp and RV parks.

If you can find owners along your route, then you might find HPCs to use. But most of us are happy with NEMA 14-50 service. Have you searched the different sites like recargo.com, plugshare, etc?

http://binged.it/VJHtIE
    749.3 miles
    11 hr 36 min

749.3 miles / 11.6 hours ~= 64.6 mph

Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
    At 65mph, it looks like the Roadster range is indeed 200 miles as you noted.

High Power Wall Connector | Charging Solutions | Tesla Motors
    Charging rate of 56 miles range per hour at max power
    Assuming an initial range charge, you'll have to refill a minimum 549.3 miles of charge if you want to reach your destination.

Let's assume you don't have to detour at all to reach the chargers when needed and that they're running at max power.

549.3 / 56 ~= 9.8 hours of charging

11.6 + 9.8 = 21.4 hours
    So theoretically you could do it in 1 day if you found available max power chargers along the way without detouring.

Drop to 30A, that brings your charge time to 22.9 hours.

11.6 + 22.9 = 34.5 hours

So yeah you can do it in two days (with a good 8 hr sleep) even with 30A 14-50R as your only charging spots with about 5 hours to spare.

Of course, if you really meant like 36 hours (i.e. "within 2 days but only 1 night") it would be tight and you'd be very tired.

Unless my math is mangled.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information