Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Partnership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
Tesla and AutoNation/CarMax need to expand their partnership for trade-ins beyond the state of California. When I received my pre-MVPA, I called the 800 number because I wanted to inform them of my desire to do a trade in. I reside in Florida. The helpful Tesla rep who answered my call replied that they are only doing trade-in vehicles in California and they haven't expanded to other states.

In our state, any trade-in amount can offset/reduce the amount of sales tax on a new vehicle purchase. While the value of a trade-in is usually below market price, the reality is it offsets the sales tax on the new car by a greater amount (in most scenarios) than the low offer usually provided for trade-ins and ends up being beneficial in the long run. Consequently, I'm sure there are many of us out there that are interested in Tesla expanding the trade-in program. If anyone is listening, I'm perfectly fine with "testing" out the program in Florida :cool: .

Tesla and AutoNation/CarMax need to expand their partnership for trade-ins beyond the state of California. When I received my pre-MVPA, I called the 800 number because I wanted to inform them of my desire to do a trade in. I reside in Florida. The helpful Tesla rep who answered my call replied that they are only doing trade-in vehicles in California and they haven't expanded to other states.

Whoops. I thought they were doing it all over, since it was an option when I did my Finalize questionnaire.

In our state, any trade-in amount can offset/reduce the amount of sales tax on a new vehicle purchase. While the value of a trade-in is usually below market price, the reality is it offsets the sales tax on the new car by a greater amount (in most scenarios) than the low offer usually provided for trade-ins and ends up being beneficial in the long run. Consequently, I'm sure there are many of us out there that are interested in Tesla expanding the trade-in program. If anyone is listening, I'm perfectly fine with "testing" out the program in Florida :cool: .

Interesting, I don't even know if my state (MD) works as you describe; I Google'd around and couldn't find anything along those lines, even when there was a reference to the trade-in as a downpayment. ;-(

But I wonder if this would work anyway, since the trade-in's handled by another company, not Tesla? On another thread, someone said Tesla was only involved as far as picking up the old vehicle, but it's really being bought by AutoNation--not so much a trade-in, it sounds like, as a "hey, we'll help you sell your old car to AN" . . . ?

That's disappointing. I assumed that this would apply to everyone. I am scheduled for delivery 12/22-1/5 and they asked me specifically about a trade in and also sent me a follow up email. Hopefully the "helpful Tesla rep" was mistaken. But when has that ever been the case?

Trade-In with AutoNation
Drive Home with Model S

Thank you for making the switch to Tesla! We have partnered with AutoNation to make trading in your current car easy so you can take home Model S.

The process is simple: Complete an online appraisal, receive a quote, and we’ll collect your trade-in vehicle when delivering your Model S.

All states are unique in how they require us to handle trade-ins, and in all cases, a trade-in quote is only valid for about a week to account for driving mileage during the final days of ownership.

In the week before your Model S delivery, we will send you an electronic appraisal form and arrange your trade-in through AutoNation.
Get Important Answers to Your Delivery Questions:
Email the Delivery Experience team at [email protected].

Tesla Motors
3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304 | Privacy Policy

For what it's worth, AutoNation gave me a really low-ball, crappy trade-in offer for my Prius. I sold it to the local Toyota dealer for almost 45% more than the AutoNation offer.

I just talked to my delivery rep and he advised that a low-ball offer from AutoNation was the norm. It's quite a premium for the "convenience" offered. :mad:

Since Tesla doesn't have a dealer license in Ohio, I can't get the trade-in offset for the sales tax obligation. It's going to cost a couple of thousand dollars in extra sales tax.

Also, since it's actually winter now in Cincinnati, I'm more than a bit peeved that the whereabouts of the winter tire and wheel set is in question, never mind the "some day" availability of the HPWC.

What an experience :-(

My AutoNation Trade In Experience Also from Florida

I’ve read a lot of threads about Tesla’s trade in program and was a bit more than just a little concerned about how I would manage my trade in. I just could not stomach leaving $1800 of sales tax credit on the table should the AN offer not measure up.

I went to TraderOnline (where I had a retail ad for the car), CARBuyCo (a local wholesale buyer) and AutoNation. CarMax would not take title assignment from a dealer (Tesla) so they were not considered.

The results were-
TraderOnline $27,460
CarBuyCo $29,000
AutoNation $29,000

Perhaps AutoNation is attracted to very clean low mileage BMWs. I know CarBuyCo was keen to get the car. Either way, I was able to go with Tesla’s partner which removed any difficulty and the result was a net of $30,800 which is low retail for a high retail car. That is not bad in my book.

Glad you had such success. My desired trade-in was a comparatively low-mileage (60,000) 2007 Toyota Prius with "Package 6" -- basically, totally loaded. Very popular car in this area, so I had hoped for a reasonable offer. I spent a lot of time filling in the AutoNation online stuff and submitting good photographs through their craptacular uploader. The response was quick, but insultingly low. I mean really ridiculously low. It would have damaged my impression of Tesla if it were not clearly coming from a third party company.

I had taken the car to Toyota of Sunnyvale to have its 60k service done (the service light was on, and since AutoNation explicitly asked about that, I wanted to get the service performed and turn it off). It was still there when I got the lowball offer. When I went to pick it up, the service advisor suggested that I speak to their used car guys. I was skeptical to say the least, but literally 15 minutes later we had agreed on a price 45% higher than AutoNation, and they were giving me a lift back to my office. I dropped off the title the following day and they handed me a check. The resulting price was a bit lower than I could have gotten through a private sale, but not by a lot. I was happy to forego the extra money for the convenience of the quick sale.

So, I'm glad that I prepped the car for the AutoNation offer, since that resulted in my lucking into speaking with the right guy at Toyota of Sunnyvale. AutoNation can take a short walk off a long pier as far as I'm concerned.

My AutoNation Trade In Experience Also from Florida

I’ve read a lot of threads about Tesla’s trade in program and was a bit more than just a little concerned about how I would manage my trade in. I just could not stomach leaving $1800 of sales tax credit on the table should the AN offer not measure up.

I went to TraderOnline (where I had a retail ad for the car), CARBuyCo (a local wholesale buyer) and AutoNation. CarMax would not take title assignment from a dealer (Tesla) so they were not considered.

The results were-
TraderOnline $27,460
CarBuyCo $29,000
AutoNation $29,000

Perhaps AutoNation is attracted to very clean low mileage BMWs. I know CarBuyCo was keen to get the car. Either way, I was able to go with Tesla’s partner which removed any difficulty and the result was a net of $30,800 which is low retail for a high retail car. That is not bad in my book.

So you were successful in using AutoNation in partnership with Tesla here in Florida. That is good news. I just finished filling out the information for AutoNation and they quoted me $20,750 for a 2008 BMW 335i convertible with 63k miles. CarMax offered $21k. I'll go with AutoNation most likely since I will save $1200 in taxes. I'll probably go by the BMW dealership to see what they have to offer as well.

I looked at trading in both my wife's and my BMW for a 750 (her choice, not mine). Brahman offered a flat $27K for mine which was the lowest offer I got. I found that odd given they have CPO which is the best possible channel to resell and my car was a prime low mile CPO candidate. My wife's love affair with the 750 is going to last until I've had the MS for a week and she has had a chance to run her daily routine a few times. Brahman will soon be a dot in my rear view mirror.

Whoops. I thought they were doing it all over, since it was an option when I did my Finalize questionnaire.

Interesting, I don't even know if my state (MD) works as you describe; I Google'd around and couldn't find anything along those lines, even when there was a reference to the trade-in as a downpayment. ;-(

But I wonder if this would work anyway, since the trade-in's handled by another company, not Tesla? On another thread, someone said Tesla was only involved as far as picking up the old vehicle, but it's really being bought by AutoNation--not so much a trade-in, it sounds like, as a "hey, we'll help you sell your old car to AN" . . . ?

I traded in my E to purchase an A5 Cab for the Mrs in June. Dealer took trade in price off the deal price before calculating taxes. I saw the post above with the link that shows Maryland not working that way and had seen that site prior to the trade-in I did. I was surprised that the dealership calculated taxes the way they did. $20K off the deal price made a big difference in taxes.

Just got my quote from AutoNation. Low, low, lowball. In the dirt about halfway from the mound to the plate. They're worth a try because of convenience and sales tax savings, but you'll probably get same result. So, I've placed ads in Auto Trader, Cars.com, and Craigslist. If that doesn't work, will go to CarMax, or maybe just keep a spare car - never know when I may want to burn some dinosaurs.

Just got my quote from AutoNation. Low, low, lowball. In the dirt about halfway from the mound to the plate. They're worth a try because of convenience and sales tax savings, but you'll probably get same result. So, I've placed ads in Auto Trader, Cars.com, and Craigslist. If that doesn't work, will go to CarMax, or maybe just keep a spare car - never know when I may want to burn some dinosaurs.

Consider eBay Cars too. I've had some good luck with selling cars on there previously.

I am also in Fla, (coral springs). Were you able to get the credit on the sales order so you were able to save the sales tax? I am thinking about trading in my Buick Enclave when my car comes in April but may not if I cant get a sale tax credit, will be better off keeping it and maybe selling it on my own.

Glad you had such success. My desired trade-in was a comparatively low-mileage (60,000) 2007 Toyota Prius with "Package 6" -- basically, totally loaded. Very popular car in this area, so I had hoped for a reasonable offer. I spent a lot of time filling in the AutoNation online stuff ... The response was quick, but insultingly low. I mean really ridiculously low.

Funny, that's almost exactly what happened to me last week. 2005 Prius with low miles. Kelley Blue Book trade-in value is $9500 or so. AutoNation offered me $8100. I ignored their offer and eventually they sent me mail asking why, so I told them, and asked for a better offer. They didn't respond or make any improved offer. I'll be calling the Toyota dealer where I bought the Prius and expect they'll easily beat the $8100 "offer".

Update: the Toyota dealer I bought the Prius from bought it back for $9000, which is close enough to the KBB trade-in value, and way above AutoNation's lame offer. On a side note, for some unknown reason they made me wait a day to pick up the check, so I showed up today in my Model S to get the check and half a dozen salespeople were fawning all over the car, taking pictures, asking questions, for several minutes. It was kind of amazing.