Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof is cold!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
So, while most were campaigning for the shade to keep the sun down, I think another reason might be to keep the car warmer.

My wife sits in the back with our baby, and whenever I put the heat on, for some reason a draft begins to come from the roof. It's worse for her as her head is basically right under it, but if I put my hand up to the roof, I can feel the moving cold air there too. I wonder if it's because of some weird mini-weather condition up there? Like the warm air is hitting the cold air near seeping through the glass and then you have mini wind conditions? Clearly I have zero grasp on meteorological phenomena, but that's all I could think of as to why there would be moving cold air there when the heat is on, but not when it's off?

I'm guessing a shade up there would solve this, but perhaps there's another solution too, like some insulating clear plastic?

Could the heater fan be blowing up onto the glass roof which rapidly cools it as it moves back to your wife? Maybe redirect the vents if that's possible?

Today we figured out, it was more the front defrosters. I was completely turning off HVAC to test the difference, but didn't realize the front defrosters were on. It's still cold up there, but with the defrosters on, it's worse because it blows air straight up there and to the back seat.

yay on the visors ...

.. as for the Pano Roof, it is cold today (31) and the glass is very cold as well. But I am sure some of my fellow Texans will agree that a cold car beats a hot car any day. You can heat the seats and with a coat, it's really not that bad. IMHO, that is.

I had a thick layer of ice on the inside of our iQ this morning. Took 14 minutes of waiting to get rid of it (not scraping the inside of the car).

Don't come here and tell me a cold car beats a hot car any day. Too bad I forgot to check the temperature of the pano glass on the test drive yesterday...

Sat in the backseat at the 10:20 test drive, but drove myself at 12:40. Sat in the backseat again this morning making a video.. Didn't even think the to notice any cold drafts.. Guess I'm still stoked about the overall of the car itself.

Considering that - I didn't particulary notice the draft, when not looking for it - makes me feel confident our beloved AO is looking for it, really hard. :)

Guess I just have to arrange for myself to meet another member testdriving and join in for a 3rd passenger ride... Too bad I wont be getting any more test drives myself yet - as I would love to test drive one every day. The steering wheel is... so.. good... to... touch...

I wish the steering wheel was mounted on me, I would touch it all the time.

Last edited:
Considering that - I didn't particulary notice the draft, when not looking for it - makes me feel confident our beloved AO is looking for it, really hard. :).

Tell that to my wife sitting in the back with an exposed baby. If you go again, tell them to turn on the front defroster.

I wish the steering wheel was mounted on me, I would touch it all the time.

You're given the opportunity to attach anything to your body and fondle it all day and THAT'S your wish? ;)

The Scion iQ?

Hard to imagine that car could insulate anything! :)

Toyota iQ, but they are the same. Just different branding.

Tell that to my wife sitting in the back with an exposed baby. If you go again, tell them to turn on the front defroster.

Will do! Was going to go again today - but our Saabs battery was out, so its a no go.

You're given the opportunity to attach anything to your body and fondle it all day and THAT'S your wish? ;)

Guessing the other things I would wanna attach wouldn't be legal in most countries....