Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ev routing for roadtrips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if there was app that focused on high level (fast) chargers. Fast chargers are not that plentiful in Texas and long distance trips are not that easy to plan.
I would bet that sales for Tesla will be limited in states like Texas until fast charging becomes easier to find and trip planning is not the challenge that it is today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355070026.943771.jpg

Sweet! Added as favorite on the Model S browser!
Thanks.

Very cool!

Don't forget to toggle the advanced search options to increase the distance from your route that chargers will be included. By default it includes stations within 5 miles of your route but I have found the number of chargers can increase dramatically if you are willing to deviate even 10 miles from the route.

Very cool!

Don't forget to toggle the advanced search options to increase the distance from your route that chargers will be included. By default it includes stations within 5 miles of your route but I have found the number of chargers can increase dramatically if you are willing to deviate even 10 miles from the route.

Wow. You don't live around here. I find the number of chargers increases slightly if you're willing to deviate even 100 miles from your route...

Until Superchargers are built-out, for trip-routing the best I've found is the KOA website. Yep. Not glamorous perhaps but lots more chargers, most appear to be 50 amp. I'm considering picking up my S in Fremont and driving it to Texas. With most of the charging station websites there are big gaps. If I plan to stop at KOAs and maybe work in a few Nissan dealers or other chargers I think I can make it work with hops of less than 200 miles on my 60KWh battery. Since there are few chargers over 50 amps, and the future will be Superchargers, I'm not doing twin-chargers. I AM waiting on the 2013 Red though :)

Until Superchargers are built-out, for trip-routing the best I've found is the KOA website. Yep. Not glamorous perhaps but lots more chargers, most appear to be 50 amp. I'm considering picking up my S in Fremont and driving it to Texas. With most of the charging station websites there are big gaps. If I plan to stop at KOAs and maybe work in a few Nissan dealers or other chargers I think I can make it work with hops of less than 200 miles on my 60KWh battery. Since there are few chargers over 50 amps, and the future will be Superchargers, I'm not doing twin-chargers. I AM waiting on the 2013 Red though :)

Here's the link to the KOA trip planner: Trip Planner | KOA Campgrounds
I'll have to try it in the S after the football game.

California only...wonder why it's not the entire US? Doesn't seem it would take any extra work.

(WA and OR are not CA, right?)

I'm sure it all depends on the source of data. A lot of Chad's source is first-hand reports... It's going to take some first-hand reports to fill in this data for your region.

I haven't yet found a source that lists 70A J1772 chargers. PlugShare is good to locate 14-50 sources and J1772 Level 2s... but precious few have 70 or 80A capability which the spec allows. Chad's map is the best we have so far.