Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car lift for the house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a car lift at their home? I was thinking about getting one for my garage to swap out the 21" for the 19". I will use the 21" for summer and 19's for the winter. I don't want to pay for storage and change over every year. Also if I have a blowout /flat tire I'll be able to make the change at home.

Was wondering on the cost and brand of lift. It would be a low rise lift - nothing extreme.

TIA

I've been swapping winter tires on my Infiniti for a couple years. I just drive with the TPMS light on during the winter and make sure to check the pressure manually every now and then. I plan on doing the same with my S, since the nearest service center is so far away.

make sure to check the pressure manually every now and then.

That has worked for me for as long as I've been driving. (Never had a car with a TPMS--seems redundant because the energy usage shown on the screen is a great indication that your tires are getting low. It takes only a couple of psi down to show up in the energy use once you are familiar with the usage pattern of your car.)

You don't need a lift for this - just a good jack. See What equipment do people recommend to change tires at home? - Page 2

Also remember that you'll be lifting less than half the car's weight, so there's a good safety margin on a two ton jack.

I'm sure you're right about 2T being enough but the Rangers have been told by engineering that the jack should be 3.5T or above (that's what they told me at least when I asked what kind of jack I needed for the Model S).

I'm sure you're right about 2T being enough but the Rangers have been told by engineering that the jack should be 3.5T or above (that's what they told me at least when I asked what kind of jack I needed for the Model S).

My guess here is that the engineers are assuming folks will purchase the cheapest possible jack and get one with questionable quality. While I don't expect anyone on this forum to do cheap-out when purchasing a jack, I expect other folks to do just that.

My guess here is that the engineers are assuming folks will purchase the cheapest possible jack and get one with questionable quality. While I don't expect anyone on this forum to do cheap-out when purchasing a jack, I expect other folks to do just that.

I bet you are right. I think the Rangers are required to use a jack at 3.5T though too so maybe that's just being extra cautious.

You should see the enormous Jack (capital J) that the Rangers lug around with them. I suspect lifting the thing may be more dangerous than using it.

To be fair the Rangers work under the car a lot, and I can see why they might want an extra margin of safety.

Anybody have any recommendations on worthy floor jack? Even when I'm not being "cheap" on a jack, they all seem craptastic and all seem to blow after a year or two, whether you use them a lot or a little. I've had $250 OTC Aluminum jack, Sears crapsman 3 ton racing jacks, cheap-on harbor freight jacks, a Torin jack and they all seem the same (crappy). The OTC jack I used twice and then a year went by, tried to lift my car and seals broke and hydraulic oil was leaking. Oddly enough the jack that has stood up the test of time is an old no-name 5-ton bottle jack.

Anybody have any recommendations on worthy floor jack? Even when I'm not being "cheap" on a jack, they all seem craptastic and all seem to blow after a year or two, whether you use them a lot or a little. I've had $250 OTC Aluminum jack, Sears crapsman 3 ton racing jacks, cheap-on harbor freight jacks, a Torin jack and they all seem the same (crappy). The OTC jack I used twice and then a year went by, tried to lift my car and seals broke and hydraulic oil was leaking. Oddly enough the jack that has stood up the test of time is an old no-name 5-ton bottle jack.

I've had the same problems. My Craftsman was probably one of the worst.

I've settled on this one: Powerzone Jack and it works great -- 6 pumps to full height, solid handle, doesn't slam the jack down when you slowly open the valve, etc.