Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving in the cold on 21" summer tires?

Driving in the cold on 21" summer tires?

Hey tire experts out there, as many of you know, some of us *later* reservation holders are due for an early delivery. It now looks like I'll be getting my car (with the 21" summer tires) in December. Where I live, it doesn't snow very often (we have SUV's for that) but temps do regularly drop to around the freezing level. I am planning on getting an extra set of 19" w/Pirelli winter tires, but they're sold out right now.

My question is this: Just what are the characteristics of the summer tires in these conditions. I've heard that at 40 degrees they basically turn to wood, but is this a hard line? what about 42 degrees? what about 37 degrees, but after I've driven on them for a few minutes (how long should they take to 'warm' up) How dangerous is it to drive in 'iffy' temps like this?

Thanks for any info (or anecdotal information) folks might have.

It's pretty simple, the colder it gets, the more solid and more slippery the rubber in the tires. If the temp is below 50, be careful. If the temp is below 40, be VERY careful!

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    How long they take to warm up depends on the driving speed and the temperature they started out at. Best case is they warm up after a mile of driving, worst case is much longer. At 37 F bridges and overpasses can have ice on them, so like Mycroft says: Under 40 F be VERY careful.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    It depends on the tires. My Roadster's Yokohama AD07/8 handle freezing temperatures fairly well. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports I had on my Infiniti were, well, terrifying! They're fantastic tires in summer weather, dry or wet, but they are like ice skates in the cold.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    It depends on the tires.
    That is certainly true. My scary experience was on Yokohama (but not AD07/8).
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I was initially convinced the 21" wheel used Continental ExtremeContact DW (dry/wet) tires, but looking at the Owner Safety Information card (in the 'user manual' section once your car is delivered) it says "Continental Extreme Contact DWS P245/R21 96Y" tires with 8.5Jx21 wheel, front and back.

So does DWS (dry/wet/snow) still have the 40° "beware" limit?

Also, of interest this same document shows that on 19" wheels tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 P245/45R19 98V however the front wheels are 8.0Jx19 and rear wheels 9.0Jx19. Since the same doc DOES recommend rotating left front -> left rear this does not add up for me.... error in the manual? Or error in my understanding?

I wrote down a bunch of stuff from my right front tire in case it's useful. Enjoy.

EXTREME CONTACT DW TUNED
    OUTSIDE 245/35 ZR 21 96Y EXTRA LOAD RADIAL TUBELESS
    CONTINENTAL
    78546 202732 (202732)
    TREADWEAR 340 TRACTION AA TEMPERATURE A
    N023 DOT HW4R 3VX 3012
    MAX LOAD 710 KG (1565 LBS)
    The specs page says:
    Note: optional 21" wheels come with Continental Extreme Contact DW 245/35R21 high-performance tires
    This mismatch, as pilotSteve notes, of this portion is definitely curious:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 Model S Owner Safety Information, "Page 18" (PDF page 20)
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS
    Last edited by brianman; 2012-12-09 at 10:02 PM.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Word from everyone taking delivery of the 21"s who've commented on tires has consistently been the Extreme Contact DW, not DWS. The Model S specs website also lists the DW.

I don't think Continental even makes the DWS in 21". It's gotta be a typo in the manual.

Like others have said, it depends on the tread compound used, which differs quite a bit for each brand and tire line. The Pirelli P7 tires (the UHPS version, not the A/S version) that came on my Audi S4 do fine in cold temps and reportedly can even cope with light snow, though I've never tried since I bought a set of winter wheels. Other summer tires I've had turned into hard plastic below 50 degrees and were very dangerous in any snow.
    Model S P85 VIN 03278 1/17/13. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85D on order, ETA Dec. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyAdopter View Post
    I don't think Continental even makes the DWS in 21". It's gotta be a typo in the manual.
    Tirerack.com seems to agree.
    ContinentalExtremeContact DWS
    (click the Sizes tab)
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

There's some anecdotal evidence the Continental ExtremeContact DW do OK in cold temperatures in this Porsche forum thread:

Continental Extreme Contact DW - Page 2 -

But you've really got to take this with a grain of salt and an ounce of caution.
    Model S P85 VIN 03278 1/17/13. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85D on order, ETA Dec. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Thread Information