Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charging Approach

Charging Approach

I'm sure this topic has been covered in part in many different threads but it would be nice to have the meat and potatos of those posts in one place.

What is the best way to approach Model S battery management? I seem to remember from my 4/3rds fat A battery designs many years ago that charge cycles degrade the internal electrodes. That would lead me to believe that charging when close to depleted would lessen the total number of charge cycles for a given number of miles/years driving. That being said, I drive my Zero to the airport and promptly plug it in at the hangar. That's a 22 mile trip on a 60 mile capacity. I then plug it in when I get home as well which adds up to two partial charge cycles per day. Zero's advice is to leave it plugged in whenever possible.

Does anyone have more up to date technical information regarding how best to manage the pack?

Nothing to offer technically, but Tesla recommends always plugging in when not in use and minimal range charges ...

Thats my plan, and I am sticking to it!
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

Quote Originally Posted by steve841 View Post
    Nothing to offer technically, but Tesla recommends always plugging in when not in use and minimal range charges ...
    Thats my plan, and I am sticking to it!
    Same. And it's so simple this caveman can do it!
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

P85 #6649 "Magic Carpet"
    Battery charging philosophies are different depending on the chemistry of the batteries. NiCad and NiMH had memory effects, and reducing charge cycles was better. For Li-ion, avoiding the extremes is key: don't empty it out and don't fill it to the tip-top, and it'll live a much longer life. This is what "standard mode" charging does for you. No memory effect, so no problem plugging it in all the time. Also, having the car plugged in allows the car to do some intelligent maintenance on itself like balancing the battery pack. So, basically:

1. Range charge only if you really need max range.
    2. Storage charge if you're not going to be using the car for two weeks or more.
    3. At all other times, standard charge and plug it in all the time when not using it.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Same. And it's so simple this caveman can do it!
    Of course, some of those cavemen were probably smarter than we are. We just have the advantage of better education.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paiz View Post
    2. Storage charge if you're not going to be using the car for two weeks or more.
    Model S does not have a "storage charge" setting, unlike the Roadster.

#P708
    wanted to x post this here as it veered into a more general comment about approach to charging... i'm still interested in others thoughts on the matter. i know it seems a bit anal, but the truth is i figure if i've puzzled it out a bit in the beginning and then commit some of these ideas to practice and habit, i'll actually have a concrete effect on my battery life that's worth a couple hours of anality.. to coin a phrase.

leaving car undriven for 10 days

(i'd respond to the above in this thread here if speaking to the more general charging plan subject..)
    \\#708•P85•METALLIC GREY•PERF 21"•BLACK LEATHER•GLOSS OBECHE•PANO•TECH•SOUND / /

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtich View Post
    wanted to x post this here as it veered into a more general comment about approach to charging... i'm still interested in others thoughts on the matter. i know it seems a bit anal, but the truth is i figure if i've puzzled it out a bit in the beginning and then commit some of these ideas to practice and habit, i'll actually have a concrete effect on my battery life that's worth a couple hours of anality.. to coin a phrase.

leaving car undriven for 10 days

(i'd respond to the above in this thread here if speaking to the more general charging plan subject..)
    I saw your post about how you plan to charge it. That may gain you a fraction of a percent SOC over time but seems overly complex. Tesla recommends keeping it plugged in at night when you are not driving so that seems the way to go. Once they add 'charge or finish charging at X time' then your car will sit at 90% SOC for a shorter time as well. If you try and hover around 50% and a storm knocks out your power for a long time then you've given yourself less of a buffer to drive around too (one uncommon but possible scenario). I just plug it in every night like my mobile phone and don't worry about it. Much easier.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Name:  i-dont-always-charge-my-car-but-when-i-do-its-a-standard-charge.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  90.6 KB

In all seriousness I plan to plug in every night and trust Tesla to keep the battery healthy. It wouldn't surprise me though if future firware updates added a kind of long-term storage mode (hidden in the sub menus).
    Models S EU P#389 - P85 blue, twin chargers, pano roof, 19" wheels, tech pack, security pack, winter pack, black leather interior. Delivered Sept 5th 2013. - Model X EU P#5 reservation -

#P708
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Name:  i-dont-always-charge-my-car-but-when-i-do-its-a-standard-charge.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  90.6 KB

In all seriousness I plan to plug in every night and trust Tesla to keep the battery healthy. It wouldn't surprise me though if future firware updates added a kind of long-term storage mode (hidden in the sub menus).
    high-larious. that's what i'm talking about! funny.

yeah, i know it's over-thinking and nerdily anal now, but just the thinking part.. the doing part is really easy. that was my point. i was eager to hear any real world experience from roadster owners on this...

the basic plan of plug-in-every-night is a bloody no-brainer. i'm just thinking a little bit beyond to see if a small, easy habit change can perhaps significantly affect batt life in a good way. i still think it can.

like i said, i'm in socal, so i don't think much about storms and whatnot.. that said, i'm sure for the vast majority of the time my habit will be to simply plug it in every night, as i've done so far, with a couple exceptions.. and that works fine. easy. no complaints. just looking for a little back and forth on the thinking..
    \\#708•P85•METALLIC GREY•PERF 21"•BLACK LEATHER•GLOSS OBECHE•PANO•TECH•SOUND / /

Thread Information