Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla Register The Car For You?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I read somewhere that Tesla registers your car for you in your home state prior to delivery, but I can't see evidence of that now. Do we register the car after delivery, or does Tesla take care of that for us?

(I should know this, but can't find the answer!)

They just don't always get it right:mad:.

Mine was registered without a lien. Penfed was a little upset that I had title to the car that I bought with their money. I had to re-register it. (only $15 and 1/2 hour once I figured out that AAA knew how to do it.)

Maybe I am the only person who didn't know this, but when Tesla registers the car you do NOT get the title or the plates upon delivery. We are registered in Wisconsin and waited almost six weeks for the plates and title. If Tesla had provided the title with the car (after I had already paid 100% of the price) I could have walked into our local DMV office and walked out an hour later registered and with regular plates.

If you don't mind driving around with a piece of paper taped to the rear window and no title then you will be OK with Tesla doing the registration -- otherwise you should try to get the title when the car is delivered and DIY.

Maybe I am the only person who didn't know this, but when Tesla registers the car you do NOT get the title or the plates upon delivery. We are registered in Wisconsin and waited almost six weeks for the plates and title. If Tesla had provided the title with the car (after I had already paid 100% of the price) I could have walked into our local DMV office and walked out an hour later registered and with regular plates.

If you don't mind driving around with a piece of paper taped to the rear window and no title then you will be OK with Tesla doing the registration -- otherwise you should try to get the title when the car is delivered and DIY.

Isn't that the same as any other car purchase? I've always had the dealer take care of title and registration, which means I drive the car home and get everything else in the mail sometime later.

Andy at Tesla (very helpful, thanks Andy!) has informed me that in Virginia, Tesla will register the car for me. Unfortunately I can't yet order plates...because that requires a title number...which requires registration first. So I wait!

I recently heard the same from a Tesla rep regarding the process in CA. He indicated that Tesla will only provide sequential plates after which the customer can order personalized plates from the DMV. I suppose my other option would be to reserve a personalized plate in advance by paying a fee to the DMV and then eventually transferring it to the Tesla. Anyone have experience with the process for reserving a personalized plate in CA before taking delivery of their Tesla?

I hit 30 days waiting yesterday. I stopped driving the car. I have been trying to get an answer from Tesla about status/new piece of paper/ receipt? I want tags. It worries me to drive with the little piece of paper now. I was stopped already because of it. No ticket but the state trooper gave me a hard time as I have no receipt etc. Indiana gives 30 days, and I don't know what will happen now without plates.

Now that I've been through the process, I can confirm that Tesla did register my car in Maryland. When I picked it up in Rockville I signed the necessary documents. About 3 weeks later the plates and registration were delivered via FedEx by the MVA. In the interim I taped the paper document Tesla provided to the license plate frame under clear tape to waterproof it. When the standard plates arrived I immediately put the online application for personalized plates BYE ICE. I expect those any day.