Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA for 60kWh battery rated at 208mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without any fanfare, the EPA has released its range rating for the second version of the Tesla Model S to come to market.

The 2013 Tesla Model S fitted with a 60-kilowatt-hour battery pack has a rated range of 208 miles.

That compares to 265 miles for the Model S version with the largest 85-kWh battery pack.

The new 60-kWh Model S has a higher efficiency rating (95 MPGe versus 89 MPGe) and uses slightly less energy to cover 100 miles: 35 kWh versus 38 kWh.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080960_tesla-model-s-60-kwh-version-epa-range-rated-at-208-miles?utm_source=GreenCarReports&utm_medium=twitter

biggrin, biggrin ... oh... :biggrin: :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Up on their website:

Compare Side-by-Side

Yup, looks like the 60 is more efficient. Definitely a sweet spot

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354891443.283823.jpg

I predicted this in August! :)

What's interesting is that Tesla's estimated range doesn't decrease at the same rate as the battery pack capacity:

85kWh -> 60kWh = 29.4% decrease
300mi -> 230mi = 23.3% decrease

60kWh -> 40kWh = 33.3% decrease
230mi -> 160mi = 30.4% decrease

This indicates that Tesla thinks the car will actually get more efficient as you move down the range, probably due to a decrease in the overall weight of the vehicle. With this, though, you can make a pretty accurate estimate of what the range of the other models might be, using the EPA-tested range of the 85kWh model.

85kWh = 265 miles

So I'm guessing:

65kWh = 203 miles
40kWh = 141 miles

These values somehow come to a range difference of almost exactly 100km between each battery pack:

265mi = 426.5km
203mi = 326.7km
141mi = 226.9km

Granted, it was pretty obvious, but someone else said the weight of the different battery packs was the same and I think this contradicts that. Let's at least hope the 40 kWh battery follows the same trend :)

Has the Tesla site been updated with this? I don't see any changes.

Tesla has continued to quote the 300/230/160 mile range at 55-mph constant speed even after the 85 pack got the 265 mile EPA 5-cycle rating: Model S Options Pricing | Tesla Motors and the recent Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

The only mention of the 265 miles back then was in Elon/JB's blog post: Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors

So, there may be a blog post about the 60 kWh 208 mile rating but, not sure.

This bodes well for the 40kw too. I suspect the power limiting of the smaller packs is helping extend range. Since the EPA 5 cycle test has a more aggressive driving profile, the slower acceleration may help a little. Until full specs are provided, hopefully the smaller packs are also lighter.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla has continued to quote the 300/230/160 mile range at 55-mph constant speed even after the 85 pack got the 265 mile EPA 5-cycle rating: Model S Options Pricing | Tesla Motors and the recent Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

The only mention of the 265 miles back then was in Elon/JB's blog post: Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors

So, there may be a blog post about the 60 kWh 208 mile rating but, not sure.

IMO, Tesla needs to stick with the EPA numbers. While most of us here on the TMC can understand the delta between the EPA numbers and Tesla's 55mph range, the average consumer may not. Just don't want to see Tesla get involved in a large class-action suits over misguided range estimates.