Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: Google Map not updating position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else has been having this issue (maybe related to 1.15.14 fw update) or if anyone can provide me with assistance... In the last few days it seems like my navigation app has gotten screwed up. The google map does not update and neither does the car gps position. If I try to scroll the map, the orange arrow indicating my car position moves instead. The actual turn by turn navigation along with its display in front of the steering wheel works just fine....just the main dashboard display not working correctly.

I have held down both steering wheel roller clickers and reset the main display to no avail. I'm wondering if this is a more widespread firmware issue from a recent update to 1.15.14 (my car hasn't gotten the 4.0 update yet) or if I should be calling service for my individual car.

I'm also on 1.15.14 and have the exact same problem with nav, emailed ownership this morning, no response so far.

Only partial workaround I've found is that switching between apps will update the nav display when reselecting nav, but it is still just a snapshot in time vs a live updating view.

Only partial workaround I've found is that switching between apps will update the nav display when reselecting nav, but it is still just a snapshot in time vs a live updating view.

Yes, exactly my experience as well. Feel less alone now... :)

- - - Updated - - -

I let the car sit for 2 hours while I was playing hockey, when I came back it was fixed.

I've rebooted the screen and let the car sit overnight charging, parked, etc....still the same problem. Glad it fixed itself for you, though. Is it possible that you got the new firmware downloaded in the interim? 1.17.50 (Version 4.0)?

Happened to me yesterday and is apparently a bug where a minor update comes out of order before downloading SOP v4.0. Getting almost certainly means that you're about to get the update. If it happens with the update, it means you didn't get the tweak yet. If it persists call your Tesla Service Rep.

Have same problem. Comes and goes. Resetting fuse alliviated it for a short while. Came back though....Also suddenly have a internal data display option in the information I can choose to be on the dashboard display.It suddenly appeared. Still have version 1.15.--Help!!

I just stopped by the store here and spoke to the Service Manager. He said Google did something funky with their servers that caused this problem. It is only an issue (apparently) for people who haven't gotten the v.4 update yet, so once we all have the update (fingers crossed!) the issue should go away.

My Nav is a mess -- my car is frozen, the map is mostly gray etc. It'll be useless until I get the update.

I just stopped by the store here and spoke to the Service Manager. He said Google did something funky with their servers that caused this problem. It is only an issue (apparently) for people who haven't gotten the v.4 update yet, so once we all have the update (fingers crossed!) the issue should go away.

My Nav is a mess -- my car is frozen, the map is mostly gray etc. It'll be useless until I get the update.

I'm in the same position. I have yet to receive Firmware v4.0. I believe the firmware update will address this problem.

I hit the same issue yesterda, and called the ownership number this morning and he walked me thru a fix. He acknowleged the issue and said it's fixed in 4.0 release.

1. Put nav in half-screen, top half.
2. Tapthe blue "keep my car in center" icon so it is OFF (not blue).
3. Put nav in full screen view.
4. tap the blue "keep car centered" icon again so it is ON (blue).
5. Put nav back in half-screen view.

Supposedly this resets the map cache. It fixed it for me. I think i am recalling all the steps he did, i was driving at the time. Give them a lot of credit - he walked me thru the steps at 60 mph and it fixed it!

Let us know if this works or if I missed anything.

I hit the same issue yesterda, and called the ownership number this morning and he walked me thru a fix. He acknowleged the issue and said it's fixed in 4.0 release.

1. Put nav in half-screen, top half.
2. Tapthe blue "keep my car in center" icon so it is OFF (not blue).
3. Put nav in full screen view.
4. tap the blue "keep car centered" icon again so it is ON (blue).
5. Put nav back in half-screen view.

Supposedly this resets the map cache. It fixed it for me. I think i am recalling all the steps he did, i was driving at the time. Give them a lot of credit - he walked me thru the steps at 60 mph and it fixed it!

Let us know if this works or if I missed anything.

This is one of the reasons why TMC is such a great cornucopia of useful information: folks posting the information they've received from TM to work through commonly encountered problems. :cool:

Had to run an errand tonight (seems to be happening a lot more frequently after getting the Model S, can't imagine why... :wink:), was able to quickly verify that the steps above correct the navigation refresh / tracking that has been vexing me for several days now! :biggrin:

Although the issue does appear to come back pretty easily, repeating the incantation only takes a few seconds to restore navigation refresh / tracking in the touchscreen.

Have same problem, and on the old version of OS. No update yet. Mt service rep sadly has no clue (been having this for about 3-4 days now, no answer from him). I think I found fix, but hesitate to post it until I test it all day today and see if it is gone permanently. Don't want to waste anyone's time. Maybe if tesla would just update the OS for everyone....

This problem just occurred on my car (software version 4.0/1.17.52) after working perfectly for the past two weeks. Neither rebooting the screen nor resetting the map cache worked for me. Has anyone found a more permanent fix? If not, Tesla has offered to send out a service advisor to perform a "hard reset."

Don't worry about this one. I'm on v4.1 (1.19.31) and have never seen it in 1000 miles of driving. I don't think any others on 4.1 have seen it either. It won't be an issue once you get the update.

I REALLY hope Tesla's software update cycle picks up the pace. At the current software iteration this state-of-the-art car with the state-of-the-art touchscreen and state-of-the-art UI is still lacking some pretty basic functionality!

I hope you're right, Todd. Hopefully I can skip 4.1 and get updated directly to the rumored 4.2 release which will ideally include more navigation features as well as the long-awaited timed charging feature.

Despite a few bugs I have experienced, I really love driving the MS, as I'm sure you do (recalling that we both received our cars around New Year's Eve).

Last edited:
So folks this or something similar seems to be happening to me lately on 4.4. Every once in a while the map location and the nav and the location in the iPhone would "freeze" to a place where the car was earlier. I have the turn-by-turn Nav in the tech package as well -- the voice directions stop and the turn by turn stops updating as well. 3G signal was strong (not that it should matter for the turn by turn GPS in any case) and slacker was playing smoothly. This has happend 3 times not and on each occasion I reset both the screens and the location was still "frozen" but after walking away from the car at some point it updated and the maps start updating from the next drive. I will keep a lookout if the issue reoccurs or starts happening more frequently -- my best guess is that the GPS chip stops providing updates to the map & nav.

Thoughts?