Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KBF

Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)
For those getting winter tires: I've tried calling both the service centre and store a few times and apparently have bad timing, only getting the answering machine. I left a message with the service centre about the winter package, but haven't heard back. I've also left an email with Hans that has not been responded to, also saying I wanted the package. I'm hearing about Pirelli shortages in Tesla USA; should I try to track down someone to confirm if the Pirelli's have been added to my account / are ordered? Who did people talk to (ie. is there someone in charge of the winter tire stuff)? It's times like these where I wish I could go in person.
Thanks!

There were Pirelli shortages two years ago, so for my Roadster, I had to settle for the Hankook Icebears...heading into my third winter with them...they've been great, no complaints!

As Doug said, Lisa @ the Mississauga service center will get things sorted out for you...

For those getting winter tires: I've tried calling both the service centre and store a few times and apparently have bad timing, only getting the answering machine. I left a message with the service centre about the winter package, but haven't heard back. I've also left an email with Hans that has not been responded to, also saying I wanted the package. I'm hearing about Pirelli shortages in Tesla USA; should I try to track down someone to confirm if the Pirelli's have been added to my account / are ordered? Who did people talk to (ie. is there someone in charge of the winter tire stuff)? It's times like these where I wish I could go in person.
Thanks!

Yes and I spoke to her today too. Very friendly and helpful. She put me on the list for the package.
She indicated they may be shipped most of the cars from Manitoba east all around the same time! (And still before Christmas)
She wasn't sure about the more western provinces. Boy they'll have their work cut out for them!

I did not like the Pirelli snow tires on my Lexus so I changed them to Bridgestone Blizzaks. I used them before on my Corvette and loved them and they have been great on the Lexus.
So I ordered 19" rims from Tesla Toronto (Mississauga) and I will be giving them the Blizzaks to mount. I will have Tesla store my 21" rims and tires until the spring.
Just in case of any shortages (plus Bridgestone had a $70 AMEX gift card promotion), I have already taken delivery of the snow tires.

Now all I need is a Model S to put them onto!

I did not like the Pirelli snow tires on my Lexus so I changed them to Bridgestone Blizzaks. I used them before on my Corvette and loved them and they have been great on the Lexus.
So I ordered 19" rims from Tesla Toronto (Mississauga) and I will be giving them the Blizzaks to mount. I will have Tesla store my 21" rims and tires until the spring.
Just in case of any shortages (plus Bridgestone had a $70 AMEX gift card promotion), I have already taken delivery of the snow tires.

Now all I need is a Model S to put them onto!
You may want to check. I was going to do something similar with Blizzaks that I have. I was told they may wear prematurely because of the regen braking. The Pirellis have been actually tested and they feel are ideal for our cars.

Is anyone getting a spare tire with their Model S ?
Winter or Summer or both ?
I don't suppose you could use a winter tire as a spare for the summers or vise-versa

I suppose in an emergency it wouldn't be the end of the world to use the "other-season" wheel. It's not like you'd drive very far with it. I've had a multitude of slow leaks over the years, but never a real "flat" or blowout, so I've never used a spare. I'm not sure what I'll do with the S. Get towed, probably. On a flatbed, of course... Tesla has some sort of Roadside Assistance, right? Anyone know details? I'm too lazy to search for the appropriate thread on my phone!

I suppose in an emergency it wouldn't be the end of the world to use the "other-season" wheel. It's not like you'd drive very far with it. I've had a multitude of slow leaks over the years, but never a real "flat" or blowout, so I've never used a spare. I'm not sure what I'll do with the S. Get towed, probably. On a flatbed, of course... Tesla has some sort of Roadside Assistance, right? Anyone know details? I'm too lazy to search for the appropriate thread on my phone!

With respect to this and the comments about Blizzaks, from a "southerner" in PA/NJ.

1) I have had amazing results with Bilzzaks on RWD/4WD ICE's of all types in very bad conditions and they have never let me down in 20 years of use. I will be using Blizzaks on my Model S unless someone has a really, really strong arguement against.

2) Tire rack has wheel/tire packages available without the TPMS sensors. It is unclear if TM will sell you sensors w/o the wheels, so I will have to wait and see if I have to buy the wheels from TM. (I have to wait till next year anyway (res 11468-just got configure invite)).

3) In any case I will carry an "opposite season" tire/rim as a spare in the car on long trips because I am paranoid. (Nice covers from Tire Rack also)

Don't blame you. My luck is such that I usually get at least 1 flat per year. Almost always a screw or a nail. Will a spare fit in the frunk? Any thoughts on an after-market compact spare?

No, The frunk lid won't close. I don't think anyone has found a compact spare yet--doesn't mean there aren't any.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla has some sort of Roadside Assistance, right?

Yes, but that doesn't do you much good if you are halfway between Saskatoon and Vermillion. Get one of these tire repair kits from Griot's Garage. Just be sure to get the tire inspected properly (means demount the tire and inspect the interior for damage) afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzaks have a good reputation, as do Nokians.

- - - Updated - - -

My luck is such that I usually get at least 1 flat per year.

I am a member of that club as well.