Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck charge cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd imagine Tesla is looking at exactly what happened very closely indeed.

I have read on other forums of others having the same problem. I am having problems plugging in rather than plugging out, but with wiggling, it seems to work. I have been informed that there is a fix in the works, and I know Tesla will take care of any and all problems.

Too bad the problem surfaced close enough for Jalopnik to be able to comment.

I have had several other car makes in my lifetime (haven't most of you!) and the problem is when the company claims there is no problem and refuses to fix it. That has not happened with Tesla that I know of (other than perhaps Opportunity Consoles, and we really don't know if there is one coming thru Tesla, or if SoFlAuthor will be the main supplier).

I'd guess that didn't work in this case since the service tech had to take it apart.

The operator also tried to free the plug by sliding something in there. Don't know what order things happened, but if they were unfamiliar with the car I could see something like this:

1) car is plugged in and locked
2) reviewer goes to unplug cable with unlocking car
3) cable won't release because car is locked
4) not realizing this, he pulls harder, and even tries to jimmy the cable
5) this damages the lock mechanism requiring a service call

Now, that is pure speculation. I haven't seen any issues like this and the only time our charge cable was 'stuck' was because the door was locked:)

I charge with a J1772 and the adapter. I've noticed that when I disconnect the J1772, the locking mechanism holding the adapter in the charge port unlocks. Unless I pull out the adapter within a few seconds, the lock engages again and the adapter is stuck. Unlocking the doors doesn't release; I have to access the touchscreen to "open the charging port", which once again unlocks the adapter.

The most worrisome thing is that simply disconnecting the J1772 causes the car to unlock the charging port (and adapter), even when you walk up to a locked car without the key fob. Be careful at public charging stations--I'm sure the J1772 adapter isn't cheap.

I charge with a J1772 and the adapter. I've noticed that when I disconnect the J1772, the locking mechanism holding the adapter in the charge port unlocks. Unless I pull out the adapter within a few seconds, the lock engages again and the adapter is stuck. Unlocking the doors doesn't release; I have to access the touchscreen to "open the charging port", which once again unlocks the adapter.

Having watched cinergy's (sp?) charging video, it would seem that having the j1772 turn off and then pulling out the plug without pushing the button that disconnects it from the adapter is the better way to go. Then you don't have to mess with removing the adapter by itself. You can just pull the plug off with the adapter still attached, then remove the adapter from the J1772 plug, which is easier, or so it would seem from the video.

Don't have my car yet though, so this is all second hand. You can watch his video on youtube here:

Tesla Model S J1772 Charging - YouTube

Cheers

The sequence that my DS recommended is:
  1. From the center console Charging screen, touch the Stop Charging button.
  2. From the center console Controls screen, touch the Charge Port button in the unlock section.
  3. Pull the charging cable (still connected to the adapter) out of the car's charge port.
  4. Remove your adapter from the J1772 cable.
  5. Close the charge port door.
  6. Hang up the J1772 cable on the charger.
  7. Double-check that you've got your adapter!

Having watched cinergy's (sp?) charging video, it would seem that having the j1772 turn off and then pulling out the plug without pushing the button that disconnects it from the adapter is the better way to go. Then you don't have to mess with removing the adapter by itself. You can just pull the plug off with the adapter still attached, then remove the adapter from the J1772 plug, which is easier, or so it would seem from the video.

My J1772 adapter is very hard to pull out of the charger port--takes two hands. If I pulled out using the plastic hook on my J1772, I'd probably break that hook off at some point. Main problem I'm worried about; however, is that the charge port unlocks for anyone on the street.

Silicon grease might attract dirt. I was thinking to try what us sailors use to keep parts on our boats sliding: McLube Sailkote. It is a dry PTFE lubricant, which leaves only a microscopic dry and very slippery film.

product_shot_sm.jpg

Silicon grease might attract dirt. I was thinking to try what us sailors use to keep parts on our boats sliding: McLube Sailkote. It is a dry PTFE lubricant, which leaves only a microscopic dry and very slippery film.

Yes, I might spray some silicone spray on the end. I'll have to tape off the contacts and the other end that I grab hold of; otherwise it will be too slippery to pull out.