Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Law Change - Texas front license plate no longer required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I received my car the front license plate mounting bracket was not installed on the car but they did include the license plate mount and kit.
I called Tesla Service and was told that the Houston Service rep would call me. Well, he called me today and told me that it would be a couple of weeks before he could get down to Corpus. I told him that I just hope that I do not get a ticket between now and then. He then replied that he was with the understanding that the law has changed and that a front license plate is no longer required in Texas. He told me not to hold him to it but that he was pretty sure that the law had recently changed. I told him that I would call the DPS and inquire about the current law regarding the front license plate. I also told him to cancel my work order until I figure out what the law really is and that if it is not required...I don't want to mount it. I'll call DPS in the morning and let everyone know.

That would be awesome! I think that is only partially true though. There was something left out of the legislation that created a loophole where you technically don't need a front plate this year (2012) but try explaining that to someone writing you a ticket. You'd still have to take time out of your day to fight it. I'm sure they'll immediately fix that when they get back in session but I hope they don't.

Found this
Texas Lawmakers Accidentally Omit 2 License Plate Law

There are many people who don't. They will likely change back to the way it used to be next year (they'll close the loophole). I'm hoping someone comes with a non-destrucitve way to mount the front plate so I can remove it when I want to. I'm really hoping they finally do away with the law but I doubt they'll allow that to happen.

I will probably mount one. That is, unless it becomes well known that Texas abolishes it. I had a red Italian car for a long time and did not have a plate mounted on the front of it. For six years, I never got a ticket. Now, granted, I drove it three to five times a month, so that may have something to do with it (as I will be driving the Whitestar - remember that name - daily).

I will go with the Skene Design method, unless something better comes along. Not hip to the zip-ties method, but it may prove to be beneficial if needed.

I've not had a front plate on my last 2 cars (both daily drivers, over a 5 yr period), never been pulled over for it, or been ticketed for it when I've -ahem- been pulled over for speeding. I'm certainly not putting front plates on my Model S.

When I got my inspection yesterday the owner asked me if I was going to install a license plate on the front and I said no. He said that, YES, TX law states that you must have one. However, in his 70+ years in Texas he has never had a car with a front license plate. Bottom line - I guess they just don't enforce it. I'll take my chances.

A Tesla with a front plate is like a beauty queen wearing glasses. I'm just sayin'

It depends on what part of Texas. I got pulled over once near my house and the excuse was the license plate in the windshield wasn't valid. A lot of people don't put it on so it is more of if they want to pull you over, they use lack of front plate as an excuse then look for other things.

It depends on what part of Texas. I got pulled over once near my house and the excuse was the license plate in the windshield wasn't valid. A lot of people don't put it on so it is more of if they want to pull you over, they use lack of front plate as an excuse then look for other things.

I'll been pulled over as well for lack of a front plate on my A3, no ticket. I got it installed that as it was not worth the hassle of any cop being able to pull me over.

That's a scary scenario. If I get pulled over for not having a front license plate, I fear that I may get a ticket for the location of the cup holders. :tongue:

Didn't install mine either. I see a TON of luxury cars around here without front license plates. It would just piss me off every day to come out and see it there. Got a ticket for it once when I was a teenager, but I'm sure then the officer was just looking for a reason to pull over a car full of teenage boys.

Didn't install mine either. I see a TON of luxury cars around here without front license plates. It would just piss me off every day to come out and see it there. Got a ticket for it once when I was a teenager, but I'm sure then the officer was just looking for a reason to pull over a car full of teenage boys.

This is why I like the retractable plate holder (manual or motorized)... leave it hidden, but if stopped just explain that it was last retracted for a car show and forgot to extend it again, with apologies?

Tow Hook License plate holder ?

Does anyone know someone with the design and machine shop expertise to build a front plate bracket for the Model S that is easily removable? Would think there is a small market for it at least.

If there is a Tow Hook socket in the front, where you can screw in the hook, like on many cars ( even my smartfortwo has one) then there is a license plate holder that mounts to it, its about $50, and stainless. Do our Model S cars have this feature of a tow hook ?