Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Law Change - Texas front license plate no longer required?

Law Change - Texas front license plate no longer required?

When I received my car the front license plate mounting bracket was not installed on the car but they did include the license plate mount and kit.
    I called Tesla Service and was told that the Houston Service rep would call me. Well, he called me today and told me that it would be a couple of weeks before he could get down to Corpus. I told him that I just hope that I do not get a ticket between now and then. He then replied that he was with the understanding that the law has changed and that a front license plate is no longer required in Texas. He told me not to hold him to it but that he was pretty sure that the law had recently changed. I told him that I would call the DPS and inquire about the current law regarding the front license plate. I also told him to cancel my work order until I figure out what the law really is and that if it is not required...I don't want to mount it. I'll call DPS in the morning and let everyone know.
    "These go to eleven..."

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    That would be awesome! I think that is only partially true though. There was something left out of the legislation that created a loophole where you technically don't need a front plate this year (2012) but try explaining that to someone writing you a ticket. You'd still have to take time out of your day to fight it. I'm sure they'll immediately fix that when they get back in session but I hope they don't.

Found this
    Texas Lawmakers Accidentally Omit 2 License Plate Law
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I understand that they are not required/I don't want to install one. That's my stance and it is not changing !?!?!
    Tesla Model S owner since December 4, 2012
    VIN 992
    Signature Red | Performance | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Wheels

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    There are many people who don't. They will likely change back to the way it used to be next year (they'll close the loophole). I'm hoping someone comes with a non-destrucitve way to mount the front plate so I can remove it when I want to. I'm really hoping they finally do away with the law but I doubt they'll allow that to happen.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I will probably mount one. That is, unless it becomes well known that Texas abolishes it. I had a red Italian car for a long time and did not have a plate mounted on the front of it. For six years, I never got a ticket. Now, granted, I drove it three to five times a month, so that may have something to do with it (as I will be driving the Whitestar - remember that name - daily).

I will go with the Skene Design method, unless something better comes along. Not hip to the zip-ties method, but it may prove to be beneficial if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze1 View Post

I will go with the Skene Design method, unless something better comes along. Not hip to the zip-ties method, but it may prove to be beneficial if needed.
    Did you ever see this one? Mounted on the bottom-most bumper area...
    [/B][/URL] Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonfive View Post
    Did you ever see this one? Mounted on the bottom-most bumper area...
    Looks interesting, but I'd probably scrape it off parking somewhere.
    Solar Powered, Black, 60kWh, Twin chargers, Superchargable, Tech Pkg,
    Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Tan leather & Lacewood interior, Xpel ppf.

(Home since 9am, 1/29/2013;
    33,102 miles as of 9/29/2014.)

Sponsor (& Model S Owner) pete8314's Avatar
    I've not had a front plate on my last 2 cars (both daily drivers, over a 5 yr period), never been pulled over for it, or been ticketed for it when I've -ahem- been pulled over for speeding. I'm certainly not putting front plates on my Model S.
    Delivered Feb 8 2013 - VIN 4287 - 85Kwh/Dolphin Grey/Pano/Tech/Sound/Air/shelf/HPWC/Passport 9500ci/19" TSportline wheels
    Accessorize your Model S with Abstract Ocean! | Silicone FobPockets | Leather FobPockets | Neoprene FobPockets | Screen Protectors | Other Cool Stuff |

When I got my inspection yesterday the owner asked me if I was going to install a license plate on the front and I said no. He said that, YES, TX law states that you must have one. However, in his 70+ years in Texas he has never had a car with a front license plate. Bottom line - I guess they just don't enforce it. I'll take my chances.

A Tesla with a front plate is like a beauty queen wearing glasses. I'm just sayin'
    Tesla Model S owner since December 4, 2012
    VIN 992
    Signature Red | Performance | White Leather | Carbon Fiber | Panoramic Roof | 21" Wheels

Sponsor (& Model S Owner) pete8314's Avatar
    Glasses can look cute sometimes. Maybe braces would be more appropriate
    Delivered Feb 8 2013 - VIN 4287 - 85Kwh/Dolphin Grey/Pano/Tech/Sound/Air/shelf/HPWC/Passport 9500ci/19" TSportline wheels
    Accessorize your Model S with Abstract Ocean! | Silicone FobPockets | Leather FobPockets | Neoprene FobPockets | Screen Protectors | Other Cool Stuff |

Thread Information