Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Accidental Lock Out Tip

  1. #1
    Model S R77 efusco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nixa, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    2,819
    Blog Entries
    1

    Accidental Lock Out Tip

    My DES, Lee Holycross, came down today for my delivery experience. In the course of things I asked him how to get into the car if the fob battery died. I knew that had been posted, but I'd forgotten that you put the "dead" fob on the windshield near the passenger windshield wiper.

    Now, that's all well and good, but your fob is just as dead and you still can't drive. So, my tip is to put a 1032 battery in the envelope with your important paperwork in the glove box. Once you're in the cabin you can pop out the dead battery, install the new one and be on your way! A small eye glass type screw driver might help get the back off and the old battery out if you want to add that to the kit too.

    Hope the idea helps someone out of a fix someday.

    Evan, Via Tapatalk
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

  2. #2
    P2624, Delivered
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    324
    efusco - Great tip. I'm sure I will forget soon enough, so I'm writing it down.

  3. #3
    Model S - R140
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weston, Florida, United States
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    efusco - Great tip. I'm sure I will forget soon enough, so I'm writing it down.
    When you write it down, put it in an envelope and put that in the glove box.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

  4. #4
    Model S: P 8061 kendallpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    1,090
    Great idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    When you write it down, put it in an envelope and put that in the glove box.
    LOL! I'll have to bookmark this for now.

  5. #5
    My DS indicated that you can open the car with a near dead fob by putting it in the area where the trunk and the passenger windshield meet. That's also in the manual. He also said there was a place to set the key near the cup holder I think that would allow you to start the car on a low battery.

    The battery in the glove box is a great idea too. Thanks.
    S1045 - Signature P85 - Black/Black - Gray 21" - Spoiler
    R762 - Roadster 2.0 - Thunder Gray/Tan - Carbon Fiber Exterior

  6. #6
    Senior Member brianman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TMC.com
    Posts
    11,680
    Random moment of sharing...

    For one of my past vehicles, I had a trickle drain (later found out it was the radio :P) on the battery. For a brief period, I had a backup battery in the passenger footwell just in case. Storing a 1032 in the glove box reminds me of that.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

  7. #7
    Sig #1278 STxTesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    261
    Thanks Evan, that's a great suggestion.
    "These go to eleven..."

  8. #8
    Member michiganmodels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    My DES, Lee Holycross, came down today for my delivery experience. In the course of things I asked him how to get into the car if the fob battery died. I knew that had been posted, but I'd forgotten that you put the "dead" fob on the windshield near the passenger windshield wiper.

    Now, that's all well and good, but your fob is just as dead and you still can't drive. So, my tip is to put a 1032 battery in the envelope with your important paperwork in the glove box. Once you're in the cabin you can pop out the dead battery, install the new one and be on your way! A small eye glass type screw driver might help get the back off and the old battery out if you want to add that to the kit too.

    Hope the idea helps someone out of a fix someday.

    Evan, Via Tapatalk
    No need for a backup 1032 battery. If you have a dead key fob, you can leave the dead key fob in the cup holder, and the car will start. There is a sensor in the console that will detect the dead key fob and the car will start.

  9. #9
    Model S R77 efusco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nixa, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    2,819
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganmodels View Post
    No need for a backup 1032 battery. If you have a dead key fob, you can leave the dead key fob in the cup holder, and the car will start. There is a sensor in the console that will detect the dead key fob and the car will start.
    My DS didn't mention that (?didn't know that?)...but good tip.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

  10. #10
    Member michiganmodels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    My DS didn't mention that (?didn't know that?)...but good tip.
    My service tech told me. It'd imagine it's in the owner's manual. However, I, like many others, have not read the owner's manual
    Last edited by michiganmodels; 2012-12-07 at 08:50 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tip: Launch an app to the "lower" screen - swipe down
    By johngray in forum Model S: User Interface
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2012-11-29, 07:05 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2012-11-28, 07:55 PM
  3. Trouble getting your doors open? A tip ...
    By cinergi in forum Model S: User Interface
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2012-10-31, 12:13 AM
  4. Tesla charging plug lock
    By dwegmull in forum Roadster: Technical
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 2011-10-15, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •