Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peak Motor Power and Torque for 60 kWh and 40 kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Can any of you real car enthusiasts decipher these highlighted numbers (that were put up last night) for me?

Specifically, the RPM power bands and why say, the 40 kWh revs so high compared to the other packs and why the 60 kWh's peak motor power band seems to match the 85 kWh Performance?!

motortorque.png

Model S Options Pricing | Tesla Motors

I wonder if the non-performance motors are different or if it's the current available from the batteries.

If the motors are different, it might be interesting to have an option of the 40 kwh motor and the 85 kwh battery. From the range vs battery and speed curves the 40 kwh cars are about 12% more efficient than the 85 kwh cars. Perhaps it's the motors?

- - - Updated - - -

I think they should start at a pretty high HP at 0 RPM - I don't think it ramps up like that

HP at zero RPM is zero by definition.

I wonder if the non-performance motors are different or if it's the current available from the batteries.

The motors are most certainly identical. The max torque is nearly identical too, since it occurs at a rpm low enough that the batteries aren't power-limited yet. You can see the battery being the limit as the max torque rpm band ends sooner on the 40kWh and 60kWh versions. That's where you hit the battery max power output limit (4000rpm on the 40kWh).

More interesting is the C-rates:
40kWh w/175kW output = 4.375C
60kWh w/225kW output = 3.75C
85kWh w/270kW output = 3.176C
85kWh w/310kW output = 3.647C

It seems the 40kWh battery will live the hardest life here too. If the performance-version were to draw 4.375C we would have 372kW output (506hp)! A future super-performance version maybe ? ;)

Interesting.. I wonder if they are tweaking the motor for each pack or rather limiting the current and voltage through the PEM to determine performance numbers.

I agree that the 40kw pack should have lesser hp to preserve range and it would help provide better EPA numbers. Since the 5 cycle tests does some heavy acceleartion, if they provided more juice and better performance to the 40kw pack it would suffer on the final EPA numbers.

Torque seems good across the band, which is what provides most of the 0-60, 30-60, acceleration forces. The high HP will come into play the faster you drive. Just off the cuff timed my good ol Honda Odyssey doing a 0-60 onto a freeway. Seems to hit 0-60 in less than 7.5 seconds, not bad for an old dog on crappy run flats.

What's curious is that the 40 and 85 seem to imply a pattern, but the 60 breaks the pattern.
the 85 has peak HP between 6 and 9.5k rpm, and the 40 has it between 4 and 10.3
I would have expected the 60 to have peak HP between 5 and 10k rpm, but it lists 8k.
Is it deliberately being limited to meet that 120mph top speed?