Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Door--forget to close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Perhaps this will become a bit more natural, but I've, so far, forgotten to close the charge port access door as often as I've remembered to close it. Too bad there's not a remote closing option too. I'm usually just impatient to get going as soon as I get unplugged.

Perhaps this will become a bit more natural, but I've, so far, forgotten to close the charge port access door as often as I've remembered to close it. Too bad there's not a remote closing option too. I'm usually just impatient to get going as soon as I get unplugged.

I did this once or twice. Now I just taught myself to close it as soon as I pull out the plug.

Along that line, does the car prevent you from driving off with the UMC still plugged in?

Only gasoline cars let you do that.

car gas hose.jpg
fail-owned-gas-nozzle-fail.jpg
what-was-the-driver-thinking.png

Evan, you also have to hold it for a second or two until it "clicks" in, because I've had a couple of occasions where I've closed the charge port door only to have it pop back open because the magnet doesn't latch on for whatever reason.

My biggest issue is not shutting my garage door when I drive off after unplugging the car. Gotta get used to doing that. Maybe the "green" homelink will help with that once I get the software upgrade.

Remote closing: Another good idea, Evan. I suspect this would take hardware changes, though, so I don't expect it to happen in this version (if ever).

I like threads like this; it gives me ideas of what things to watch out for and things to get used to doing.

It happens to me all the time with my current PHEV. Especially in chargers outside where one uses both hands to reel in the heavier charge cables and then you walk on the wrong side of the car and then you see the dashboard alert and the little open flap in the rear view mirror .. DOH.
I definitely would recommend a remote close for future tesla revs. eg maybe make the door drop inwards and slide out of the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Only gasoline cars let you do that.
View attachment 12336

Made me think of EVs with magsafe. Fortunately they dont go into D while plugged in.