Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat cupholder options (3 kids)? How about trash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
So I found some of those "old school" cup holders that hang on the door with the tab in the window slot at the local Dollar General store..alas the shape and width of the door won't allow those to work. I temporarily hung them under the rear seat's AC/heat vent on the plastic trim of the front seats, but they won't stay on there adequately even though that little cut-out space seems idea for something like that. Maybe a next project for Soflauthor to build something to fit into that gap...fold out or fold down cup holders.

Quite worried how I'm going to deal with traveling with kids and drinks and food all in the back seat. (yes, I can already hear the cachophony of "just don't do it!"--but reality is this is a working vehicle and there are times where sprinting between school, sports, music and home will necessitate the eating in the car option)

Has anyone found any good temporary solutions until Soflauthor can jump on this idea?

As pointed out, I need an option that will accomodate 3 kids sitting in the back seat, so that thing Tesla showed a few months ago that sits in the middle of the seat won't work.

Also, an nice trash can option would be great too. Somewhere to put those chewing gum wrappers, receipts, etc. I have something that hangs on the headrest of the front passenger seat, but it is pretty inelegant.

With three occupants in the back seat, any solution will lack "elegance". You could place a small basket on the floor between kid#1 and kid#2's feet (perhaps held in place with Velcro), or you can hang or attach something to the back of the front seat(s).

Evan,

I have three young kids and have had the car a little over a month. You are right that it's impossible to avoid kids eating/drinking back there. Two things have worked for me (sometimes simultaneously) -- I don't know how old your kids are, but the booster seat we use has cupholders that fold out on either side. It can be difficult when all three are squeezed back there, but with two or fewer, it's a great option.

The other thing that I did that worked even better was to simply leave a thermos back there with a closed top. If/when a kid gets in the back seat with a drink, we just transfer the liquid (outside the car!) to the thermos and we're good to go. The older ones can hold it themselves (or put it on the floor), and the younger one puts it in his cupholder in his booster seat.

Not a perfect solution, but it avoids spills and I really can't find anywhere back there to put a cupholder.

The other thing I've done is have the kids drink water if they're going in the car -- that way, I don't really care if it spills.

Hope that helps!

Trash? As always, the best solution is the Subway sandwich bag. Hang 'em anywhere & since they are a foot long+ the trash stays inside.
--

Ugh! No way. The little black bag I have is fairly nice looking, just don't like the strap going around the headrest. Couldn't find a way to fit it in that carve out under the AC vent.

- - - Updated - - -

Evan,

I have three young kids and have had the car a little over a month. You are right that it's impossible to avoid kids eating/drinking back there. Two things have worked for me (sometimes simultaneously) -- I don't know how old your kids are, but the booster seat we use has cupholders that fold out on either side. It can be difficult when all three are squeezed back there, but with two or fewer, it's a great option.

The other thing that I did that worked even better was to simply leave a thermos back there with a closed top. If/when a kid gets in the back seat with a drink, we just transfer the liquid (outside the car!) to the thermos and we're good to go. The older ones can hold it themselves (or put it on the floor), and the younger one puts it in his cupholder in his booster seat.

Not a perfect solution, but it avoids spills and I really can't find anywhere back there to put a cupholder.

The other thing I've done is have the kids drink water if they're going in the car -- that way, I don't really care if it spills.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, those are reasonable 'stop gap' measures, but you're right, not idea. I do suspect there will be a lot of water drinking going on. I've already ruled out Cherry Sonic slushs--so my kids have decided that mom picks them up from school on Fridays...when they usually get a sonic treat! My kids are 13, 13, and 8, so pretty big and way out of the booster phase. Really miss having seatback pockets. Might have to see if I can find an aftermarket option there too.

I've already started preparing my kids about the No Eating & Drinking rule in Daddy's new car... even though we're about 5 months out from getting it. Although, the booster seat with cup holders is a great idea! I wonder if they mind sitting in one until they are 18?!?

Phil

Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Stow N Go Car Seatback Organizer, Black: Baby

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 11.49.09 AM.png

Bonnie, that serves two purposes -- you can store stuff for kids, and they don't kick the front seat. I'm had to clean the passenger side front seat (the back of it) every time my 5 year old is in the car. He puts his feet up on it and it gets full of dust/dirt. Because of the black, EVERYONE notices it when they get in the car after he's in there. This is an elegant solution to that problem as well!

I too am looking for some sort of solution for holding beverages in the backseat. While we have teenagers, the sport drinks are in the car all the time after school. I did see that there are some new designs on eBay and I am looking into those. The one that mounts on the floor (holds 2 beverages) looks like it might be the best option for us and does have a pocket to put miscellaneous garbage like gum wrappers etc.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I too am looking for some sort of solution for holding beverages in the backseat. While we have teenagers, the sport drinks are in the car all the time after school. I did see that there are some new designs on eBay and I am looking into those. The one that mounts on the floor (holds 2 beverages) looks like it might be the best option for us and does have a pocket to put miscellaneous garbage like gum wrappers etc.

You can get a great retrofit Console from EV Everything. The make both front and Rear consoles with cupholders and Dual USB ports. I was not going to spend $1200 upgrading my cosole after reading the reviews on the rattles in the rear cupholders.

Tesla Model S Product Collection