Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Model S Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
Invites have been going out to a Model S launch party in Hong Kong.

Tuesday 11th December 2012, @Cyberport.

I'll be going, and will try to post pictures here afterwards.

They've got a left-hand drive display car here, and are starting something interesting with it real soon.

Last edited:
Last night, a Tesla sales called me to schedule a test drive. He asked me to pick a day starting December 12th. I reserved a Signature and my friends who reserved production haven't received calls yet.

Invites have been going out to a Model S launch party in Hong Kong.

Tuesday 11th December 2012, @Cyberport.

I'll be going, and will try to post pictures here afterwards.

They've got a left-hand drive display car here, and are starting something interesting with it real soon.

Last night, a Tesla sales called me to schedule a test drive. He asked me to pick a day starting December 12th. I reserved a Signature and my friends who reserved production haven't received calls yet.

Well, I wasn't gonna say anything, as I didn't know if it is public yet, but I too got the call. Gonna get Amped on the 12th.

Congrats to Tesla for managing to arrange this. Left hand drive cars supposedly cannot be registered in Hong Kong, but they have a special permit for a special test drive route. Only problem is that after having driven the car, I suspect that the wait for delivery will be even harder.

Have fun! Weird though that we in NL didn't get test drives yet while we drive on the 'right' side of the road.

Nevertheless, good to see Tesla make progress outside of the USA!

Sent from my phone, so my apologies for typos.

I hope they can release the price details on that day. I also want to know whether the recent price increase does affect Hong Kong market or not.

As a reservation holder, I got an eMail from Tesla saying:

This is our first price increase since the announcement of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes people like you, who already have a Model S reservation with us. For anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, we will be deducting an estimated 17,000HKD* from the final price of your Model S. In other words, you will not be affected by the price increase as long as you finalize your order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe.

*Please note the discount amount is not yet finalized and is subject to change either up or down if currency exchange rates change significantly.

HK$17,000 is a little under US$2,200.

Very fair, and makes me feel good as an early reservation holder.

Based on what I've heard, I'm guessing the orders for HK will start to be finalized late summer 2013, so pricing would have to be released before then. Again, based on Canada and what I've been told, I expect pricing for Hong Kong to be US x 7.8 + shipping + homologation.

A fun evening, with a great turnout.

It started off with EVie finding a friend at the free-electrons parking spot:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355239547.699887.jpg

Then, the event itself:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355239610.634188.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355239630.798364.jpg

Crowded as hell at the start, so my wife and I went upstairs for a meal. By the time we got back, things were less busy and we got to spend some time in the car. Worked out where things were and how things worked in preparation for tomorrow's Get Amped test drive.

Very well organized, and congratulations to Tesla.

From Canadian and Oz market indications, hopefully it will be US pricing x FX + delivery. If so, it will compare 5 series pricing which is great!

What specs are HKers going for? Performance or 40kWh? Range wise deffo 40kWh is enough but people here love driving their supercars at 30mph traffic!!

What specs are HKers going for? Performance or 40kWh? Range wise deffo 40kWh is enough but people here love driving their supercars at 30mph traffic!!

From what I hear, about 50/50 signature vs production at the moment. Everyone I talk to is signature, and most want the performance model. But, then again, the current events are mostly for signature and roadster owner reservers.

I'm probably going for 60kWh battery, production standard model. Definitely with tech package, pano roof and air suspension.

I got amped today, and it was an amazing experience. Thanks to Kenneth and the whole Tesla team for the opportunity. The car is amazing to drive. Very smooth. The route around Cyberport is short and speed limited, but gives you a good idea of what the car can do. It is also quiet, without much traffic, which is hard to find in Hong Kong.

I drove the car Saturday, the acceleration is amazing, kinda like inside the magnetic levitation train from Shanghai airport to Shanghai city. I plugged an USB drive with some Chinese/Japanese songs and too bad the media player couldn't display song names properly. According to a local forum, Tesla already received over 200 reservations in Hong Kong.

From what I hear, about 50/50 signature vs production at the moment. Everyone I talk to is signature, and most want the performance model. But, then again, the current events are mostly for signature and roadster owner reservers.

I'm probably going for 60kWh battery, production standard model. Definitely with tech package, pano roof and air suspension.

I got amped today, and it was an amazing experience. Thanks to Kenneth and the whole Tesla team for the opportunity. The car is amazing to drive. Very smooth. The route around Cyberport is short and speed limited, but gives you a good idea of what the car can do. It is also quiet, without much traffic, which is hard to find in Hong Kong.

Knowing the prices of property and certain high end commodities, I will bet my sweet a-- that Tesla S will be shared and traded low and high, both queue tickets and cars on the road (when we get to that point).

I am curious to see how much faster production could be compared to expectations. Not that I am in a hurry to get a Tesla S, but it's exciting anyway!

As a reservation holder, I got an eMail from Tesla saying:

This is our first price increase since the announcement of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes people like you, who already have a Model S reservation with us. For anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, we will be deducting an estimated 17,000HKD* from the final price of your Model S. In other words, you will not be affected by the price increase as long as you finalize your order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe.
*Please note the discount amount is not yet finalized and is subject to change either up or down if currency exchange rates change significantly.

HK$17,000 is a little under US$2,200.

Very fair, and makes me feel good as an early reservation holder.

Based on what I've heard, I'm guessing the orders for HK will start to be finalized late summer 2013, so pricing would have to be released before then. Again, based on Canada and what I've been told, I expect pricing for Hong Kong to be US x 7.8 + shipping + homologation.

(I added some bold emphasis to the above quotes)

I checked my emails, and found the following in a newsletter of 21 December 2012:

There are 11 days left to place your reservation for the award winning Model S at current prices. Many of you have probably heard about our recent price increase that will go into effect on January 1, 2013. This price increase will not apply to anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, 2012... as long as they finalize their order within four weeks after receiving their "Invitation to Configure" when the time comes to build their Model S.

Since the Model S wasn't priced in HK until last month, more than a year later than the deadline mentioned in December 2012, I wonder if the price on the quote is final, or will be reduced for those of us who paid the deposit before December 31st, 2012.

Having checked emails, I can see that I ordered and paid 39,000 HKD on December 7th, 2012, where I got my RN, and the sequence number was received on December 14th (2012). I should qualify for a ~17,000 HKD discount, shouldn't I?

What makes me uncertain is that since there was no price announced at 31/12-2012, there couldn't have been any price increase. The 579,000 base price is the only one we know.

Having trusted Tesla Motors for 1 1/2 years now with my down payment, I think it's fair they stick to their word. I am happy they give me a cash back after I am done with the financing, then I will use that for seat covers and two dice to hang on the rear view mirror (NOT!)

dice in the windscreen.jpg

Since the Model S wasn't priced in HK until last month, more than a year later than the deadline mentioned in December 2012, I wonder if the price on the quote is final, or will be reduced for those of us who paid the deposit before December 31st, 2012.

Having checked emails, I can see that I ordered and paid 39,000 HKD on December 7th, 2012, where I got my RN, and the sequence number was received on December 14th (2012). I should qualify for a ~17,000 HKD discount, shouldn't I?

The eMail said anyone who has of makes a reservation before dec 31st 2012, so you should be eligible for the HKD17k deduction.