Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shake Down Cruise Today

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    310wh is about right for the speed and usage. The trip meter adds up. Seems likely that started with 240 projected but not rated? The vampire usage could explain it too, but I think the vampire usage shows up pretty quick after starting out, doesn't it?

I think I started full. I have had the car 1.5 days. That being said, I thought the 76.5 KWh was a range charge? Yes it was 310 Wh/mi.
    Model S Signature Vin 1034

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I believe ideal range is based off of 265 Wh/mile if that helps with calculations.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    I presume you mean: 310 Wh/mi. Doesn't affect the numbers, but it's always good to get your units right.

310 Wh/mi. * 211.8 mi. = 65658 Wh = 65.6 kWh

85 kWh * 90% = 76.5 kWh for standard charge

65.6 is indeed quite a bit less than 76.5 for a mere "8 mi." projected remaining

Perhaps he started with only a partial standard charge.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that only 80% is actually available in standard charge mode since the battery is charged to 90% and discharged down to 10%. When the projected range is 0, there are still ~8.5kWh of reserve charge left.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zdre View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that only 80% is actually available in standard charge mode since the battery is charged to 90% and discharged down to 10%. When the projected range is 0, there are still ~8.5kWh of reserve charge left.
    Someone correct me if I have these numbers wrong but that is on the Roadster (I'm pretty sure those are the correct numbers for the SOC range). On the Model S you go from 90% to 0% SOC (there still is something left though even when you run out as you have a month to plug back in before trashing the battery pack).
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Yah, I thought it was [10,90] for the Roadster and [0,90] for the Model S.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

I think there is maybe a 10Kw safety at the bottom that you could use for the '2 months' unplugged at 5% charge before the battery is really hurt
    Safety factors are kind of important in engineering. Over do it if you can for safety if the cost is reasonable.

I used most of a range charge and had quite a few kWhrs left based on the used power - I think it is a good thing
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - classic grey & wood 30153mi Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Someone on TM forum (Teotawaki, IIRC) managed 4-5 mi limping home after 0 range left. So there's a bit down there!

Thread Information