Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shake Down Cruise Today

Shake Down Cruise Today

So, I did 212 miles today with 8 to spare. I started with a rated range of 241. My question is the rated range change as well as the projected range throughout the day. In the end (as you would expect) they were almost the same. I would have been able to go 220 miles. My question is why did the rated range change? I thought that was ideal range etc. Or, did it change because the rated range was affected by use of the nav system and the 17" screen and A/C or Heat?

Also a second question, would there have been a reserve. I used about 67 Kwh of the battery. Or, is the reserve switching to range mode at the end in order to catch some of the last 10% of the battery?

Thanks.
    Model S Signature Vin 1034

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    Rated is basically the EPA range. I get rated range going about 70mph down the freeway without running much else (maybe lights, always stereo), for instance. Nav and screen are just assumed for the rated range, imho.

A/C and Heat have a little effect, but it isn't much overall when you are zipping down the freeway. Sitting in the driving or traffic and the A/C or heat will have a greater effect per mile cause you ain't moving!

Few have dared drive below zero, but I recall reports of people getting away with it on Roadsters. There is probably just a little bit left, but I wouldn't count on it.

Switching to range mode allows charging the full 85Kwh rather than stopping at 90%. Using 67... that sounds wrong. I think you meant 76; that would be close to the standard charge which is 90% of capacity of the 85Kwh battery.

Sig 255, VIN 320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Switching to range mode allows charging the full 85Kwh rather than stopping at 90%. Using 67... that sounds wrong. I think you meant 76; that would be close to the standard charge which is 90% of capacity of the 85Kwh battery.
    Well, actually in another thread regarding a potential battery reserve, vbsdan reported reaching 0 miles of range and the dash indicated only 77 kwh had been used. Seemed like this was from a full-range charge. So 67 could be possible if starting with a standard charge. No sure where the missing kws are going.

I did a standard charge and thought I saw 67 uses when my day was done. I did 90% highway today and did 212 miles. I drove 60 mph. I liberally used excessories and A/C. Was 212 with 8 to spare a good outcome? Should I have expected closer to a 240 range?

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    Trip meter should report amount of energy used since last charge and the average speed. That's a good indicator.

60mph on the freeway should get better than rated range in my experience. Haven't had a chance to run with the A/C on, however, so maybe that's the difference.

The missing KwH is a mystery to me.

I will check it next time. I do a 200 mile drive every month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Trip meter should report amount of energy used since last charge and the average speed.
    Clarification: Trip meter reports distance, consumption, and rate of consumption. Not average speed.

At least in v1.15.14
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Okay I just checked. I used 65.5 Kwh I drove 211.8 miles. I have a rated and projected 8 miles to go. I averaged 310 wh.

So, not sure how that compares to others. As a I mentioned, I made to effort to curb the use of the accessories. They were used 6 hours plus today.

Sig 255, VIN 320
    Quote Originally Posted by rlawson4 View Post
    Okay I just checked. I used 65.5 Kwh I drove 211.8 miles. I have a rated and projected 8 miles to go.
    Hmm... Something just isn't adding up here. Even for a standard charge more than 65.5 kw should be available. Is the number reported on the dash accurate?

I presume you mean: 310 Wh/mi. Doesn't affect the numbers, but it's always good to get your units right.

310 Wh/mi. * 211.8 mi. = 65658 Wh = 65.6 kWh

85 kWh * 90% = 76.5 kWh for standard charge

65.6 is indeed quite a bit less than 76.5 for a mere "8 mi." projected remaining

Perhaps he started with only a partial standard charge.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information