Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian 3G Service Provider

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope it's Rogers. Otherwise I'll be getting zero internet outside of Winnipeg. I think Bell may have something in Steinbach and a couple of other small cities, but Rogers is the only national company that has presence in most of rural Manitoba (they have a deal with MTS, so they share the towers).

Not that it's a dealbreaker for me. It would just mean one more Sig "perk" out the window for me if it's not Rogers/MTS :frown:

Canada has pretty good LTE coverage in most major cities from both Rogers and Bell. I really hope there is an LTE chip in there somewhere or at least support for WiFi while driving in order to tether from another LTE device.

When the Model S beta, and the AMPED tour were in Canada, I suspect the cars were roaming on our networks from an American provider.

I own an AT&T phone with North America Roaming enabled - the phone seems to prefer the Bell network over Rogers, but I can always force the carrier to Rogers. I personally prefer Rogers, however, Bell has DC (dual channel) support, enabling faster 3G speeds when LTE is not available (42Mbps vs 21Mbps). Of course, this requires a DC chip.

Last edited:
I intend to do this once my "free" year is up.

Wouldn't the annual service/maintenance fee cover that ?

Includes

Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
24 hour roadside assistance
System monitoring
Remote diagnostics
Software updates
New features

Need the connectivity to provide the remote diagnostics and software updates

Last edited:
@zapped; It sounds like there will be at least a low-bandwidth connection no matter what (for diagnostics, etc), but Tesla is planning on releasing prices for connuctivity packages which will be for browsing/google maps nav/internet radio. Right now everyone is getting it free but that won't last (Sigs for a year, I don't know what's happening with US P's getting delivery now). But since in Tesla Time last month is ancient news, I could be wrong.

If I'm correct, then I would like to browse in my S for no "extra" cost in a year, using my current (and decent $) Rogers "4g", which will hopefully convert to LTE soon in my area.