Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual pictures of the grey?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been delaying clicking finalize, since I still cannot decide on color. I'm down to this list though:

- Pearl white (with pano roof)
- White (with pano roof)
- Grey (maybe pano)
- Black (no pano)

So at the very least, we can agree I'm monotone :)

I'm not really looking for opinions on the color options, but would love to see some actual photos of the grey - I've got plenty of pictures of the black and the white, but aside from the photo posted by Tesla, and a very short walk-around video, I can't find much. Right now I'm leaning towards the grey, I've seen the white in person and don't recall being very impressed, but, the photos I've seen lately make it look very pretty.

So, does anyone out there have an actual grey Model S?? I need to finalize by Dec 31, so there's a bit of time, plus, as I'm not going with the air suspension, I don't think I'm losinbg out on my delivery window by waiting another week or two.

Pete, I've been going through the same thought process. My list also includes silver. I looked at the gray paint sample very carefully at the Tesla store near Boston. I find the gray a little too "cold" for my taste. It's a little bit like gunmetal or shark skin. Aston Martin has a warm gray metallic called Tungsten Silver that is drop dead gorgeous.

Tesla's silver is also missing something for me. Again, it makes me think how much richer the Aston colors are.

The Model S looks fantastic in black. Very handsome. The proportions of the car read really well. The only question here is whether black is too formal for you. If I was a lawyer, doctor or stock broker, it would be a perfect fit, but I'm not. I also live in Vermont, where a black car is a lot of work. In your locale it might not be an issue.

If you are going to go for white, by all means go for the Pearl. It is stunning in person. The metallic effect is subtle, but evident when you get close. Nicely understated. Pearl allows the car's curves to stand out more than plain white.

I don't have to finalize until the end of January, but I'm 99.9% settled on Pearl White with a black interior.

Looked at the dolphin gray (and the blue and green) in the Costa Mesa service center last night. Personally, I think they look fantastic. The blue made me jealous I have to admit, not that I'm unhappy with Sig red, but that dark blue is really awesome. Both the dark blue and dark green look black at first glance (at least indoors) but have the color in the reflection. The dolphin grey is sublime and really looks amazing like an actual dolphin if you've ever seen one in person. I find all three much more interesting than black or white, but that's just me.

I've been delaying clicking finalize, since I still cannot decide on color. I'm down to this list though:

- Pearl white (with pano roof)
- White (with pano roof)
- Grey (maybe pano)
- Black (no pano)

So at the very least, we can agree I'm monotone :)

Heh. I'm curious, why does your pano decision rely on the color, or am I misinterpreting what you wrote above? I could see maybe the reverse (some colors seeming to work better with/without pano), I suppose (though my pano decision is because I want it, and I never considered whether my color would go with it well or not), but I'm confused by your list.

Anyway, just wondering. Everyone's different! Me: Brown with pano roof, but I was really torn between brown and blue, and earlier I was very intrigued by grey and even silver.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I meant "I could see deciding on roof, then picking a color to go with it" but the pano roof is functional/different from non-pano, so picking color first is what confuses me. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting.

We have a long way before deciding, but right now we're going with grey (with pano roof). Wife and son thinks it looks bad-a$$, and it's not as hard to take care of as black. Never been a fan of silver. Love white, but think this car looks great in grey. I think I'll probably go with the silver wheels (not grey). We've never been into colors on cars (almost always black or white), and even though I like the dark blue, I don't think I could live with it forever. The grey looks like a shark, a little evil. ;)

I'll be following this thread!

Heh. I'm curious, why does your pano decision rely on the color, or am I misinterpreting what you wrote above? I could see maybe the reverse (some colors seeming to work better with/without pano), I suppose (though my pano decision is because I want it, and I never considered whether my color would go with it well or not), but I'm confused by your list.

Anyway, just wondering. Everyone's different! Me: Brown with pano roof, but I was really torn between brown and blue, and earlier I was very intrigued by grey and even silver.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I meant "I could see deciding on roof, then picking a color to go with it" but the pano roof is functional/different from non-pano, so picking color first is what confuses me. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting.

I'm really not too keen on an all-white car, so if I did go for either of the whites, it would have the pano roof (since I personally find the black painted roof a bit weird). I'm trying to shave some cost here and there, so the pano roof, as much as I would like it, isn't quite on my 'must-have' list, unless I go for white.

IMG_8201.JPG

IMG_8197.JPG

coline.jpg

SLC.jpg

they grey is pretty nice, well in my opinion :tongue:

I'm really not too keen on an all-white car, so if I did go for either of the whites, it would have the pano roof (since I personally find the black painted roof a bit weird). I'm trying to shave some cost here and there, so the pano roof, as much as I would like it, isn't quite on my 'must-have' list, unless I go for white.

Gotcha. Thanks for elaborating! I thought the black roof thing was a bit odd for any color, but yeah, especially white, it seems like too much of a contrast. Admittedly a lot of this color stuff's theoretical for me; I'm not great at picturing things....

- - - Updated - - -

I believe your thinking is correct. The appearance of the pano is nearly identical to a black painted roof. The perimeter sheet metal around the pano actually is painted black. So I think you are asking a valid question: whether the pano roof clashes with the exterior color of the car. The same can be said of the black "grille" area up front.

Very nice. I think (relative statement) that we're decided on the grey, as it's not silver, and is sort of in-between white, pearl white and black.

The leather is the next question, the tan might be too 'orange' for my taste, but the grey leather has been accused elsewhere of looking a bit anemic. Of course there's black, but I'm in Tx, and it does get really hot in the summer. Pre-cooling will help with that, but I'm still tempted to try one of the lighter colors.

Very nice. I think (relative statement) that we're decided on the grey, as it's not silver, and is sort of in-between white, pearl white and black.

The leather is the next question, the tan might be too 'orange' for my taste, but the grey leather has been accused elsewhere of looking a bit anemic. Of course there's black, but I'm in Tx, and it does get really hot in the summer. Pre-cooling will help with that, but I'm still tempted to try one of the lighter colors.

Doing fine with the black in Miami. The UV protection is very good (although very bad for my toll transponder)

Doing fine with the black in Miami. The UV protection is very good (although very bad for my toll transponder)

Regrettably in the summer my car bakes in a very open parking lot for the whole day, to the point where the aluminum trim inside will burn you. There's -a- tree I could park under, but that drops crap all over the paintwork, so I think I'm choosing the lesser of two evils.

Color is obviously the most subjective thing on any car, but after driving the Dolphin Grey at Santana Row I fell in love (I'd previously preferred the blue). Big caveat for me, though: IMO the grey only looks good with the dark grey 21" wheels, which match the Dolphin Grey paint very closely. To me, the grey looks Plain Jane and dull with silver wheels, but completely transforms the car into an evil monster (in a good way :wink:) when paired with the grey 21" wheels.