Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Tesla Grin"....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my fellow TMC Florida members...for some of you it has been several weeks of Model S ownership. Do you still have the "Tesla Grin"? Tell us are the new updates making the grin wider? Thanks for sharing with guy that's still on the fence about the first production run of the S.

Hello my fellow TMC Florida members...for some of you it has been several weeks of Model S ownership. Do you still have the "Tesla Grin"? Tell us are the new updates making the grin wider? Thanks for sharing with guy that's still on the fence about the first production run of the S.

I've had the car a month and enjoy it more the longer I have it. I was overwhelmed at first by the power and the touchscreen and everything. Plus, I was soooooo nervous driving it and parking it anywhere. As I have gotten more comfortable with all of the above, I'm able to really enjoy the car now. Plus, showing people the car and getting reactions as I drive around never gets old. It's the perfect car for Florida with our good roads and warm weather.

I've had my Roadster for just over 15 months, and the grin STILL continues to get wider. I fully expect the Model S to be the same way... the Tesla EV experience is unique, and is truly the car of the future. These cars outclass any competitive dead-dinosaur burner in every. single. way. No exceptions.

If you like what you see and hear, take the leap... you won't be disappointed. The Motor Trend judges have never unanimously agreed on "Car of the Year" before... they, and every other award the Model S has received, and all the owners, cannot possibly be wrong. :)

I've had my Roadster for just over 15 months, and the grin STILL continues to get wider. I fully expect the Model S to be the same way... the Tesla EV experience is unique, and is truly the car of the future. These cars outclass any competitive dead-dinosaur burner in every. single. way. No exceptions.

If you like what you see and hear, take the leap... you won't be disappointed. The Motor Trend judges have never unanimously agreed on "Car of the Year" before... they, and every other award the Model S has received, and all the owners, cannot possibly be wrong. :)
Rudy if I may...thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that the automotive press and current owners are not wrong about the S. My hesitation is based on my desire wanting to see what problems arise and how TM will handle them. I also wanted to see at least 2-3K Model S' on the road before we pulled the trigger. BTW, enjoy the Roadster.

Eww... please, anything but Rudy. :)

You're wise to be cautious, I wish more people were like that instead of believing everything they hear or even think, only to be disappointed later and blame/sue others willy-nilly. My read is that Tesla is doing the right things and cultivating (critically!) the right culture in all their people. There have already been plenty of problems: several things on the Model S have required redesign, and my Roadster has had some issues (like the day the "D" button didn't work... oops). But in each case, I've seen Tesla recognize the problem, fix it, and take care of their customers. When I had an issue that really needed attention, they had a Ranger out to my house in a very short time indeed. And they've resolved all my issues well and quickly, plus their people are a pleasure to deal with.

Obviously there are always some exceptions, and the company has made a few people very unhappy. I hope they fix every single one of their mistakes, but no one is perfect, and some things are not fixable. But my money is on their overall customer satisfaction being much higher than that of other automakers. So at this point, I'm very comfortable buying a Model S. Like you, I wanted to avoid the very first cars off the line, but I think most of the teething issues have been taken care of. There still remain plenty of improvements to make and a few things to fix, but I think Tesla will do all that just fine.

I could certainly be wrong, but that's how I see it right now. I'll take delivery of my Model S as soon as I can (gotta sell my Roadster first, no garage space left), I'll make sure I can supercharge, I won't buy the replacement battery option, and we're off to the horsey rides. :)

Apparently I have one of the first 1000 sold. So far it is rock solid!. I am pushing it pretty hard and doing between 450Wh/mi and 500 on average currently driving around town (haven't been pulled over yet :wink:) Haven't found a flaw yet besides wiper sensitivity, which may not be a flaw since the speed is a little different than when I got the car on Saturday. I am at ~ 500 miles and LOVING IT. Engineering masterpiece!

Tesla - please cash my check so I don't buy stock with it and make it bounce :eek:

Everyone I have shown the car to or given rides has a Tesla grin when they see me :biggrin:

Love to hear it Zextraterrestrial! Feel free to post many more pics of "Jouley", I cannot get enough of her Dolphin Grey-on-Grey.
She told me she prefers the name Joules :love: I think my wife might be getting jealous. She'll need a boyfriend someday (X or III)
I took my car out for a beer last night and brought my wife along. I was feeding the car and almost didn't realize my wife was hungry :mad:

The weather has been wet. I dropped her off in Arcata this morning to get a free range charge before I smack her around later. I was thinking about doing the drive to Crescent City and try and get some shots of Elk w/ my car if I can. I'll probably make an album and start a thread of my own pics so I don't just keep posting random stuff in all sorts of threads. Soon. I hope she isn't lonely right now. ;>

The way the TC holds you but lets it just barely slip around hard cornering is Scary awesome. I think I like it on wet better than dry pavement so far. When the back end just shimmies a little as it is pulling out of the corners is so fun. I wish I could get a video of it but all I get is a grey blur! The little whine that the P gives under full power is due the speed of sound I think. Car pulls so fast that the sound waves do the opposite of a Sonic boom and you get a little anti sound noise which is a tiny (but very pleasing to me) whine!

Eww... please, anything but Rudy. :)

You're wise to be cautious...:)

Rodolfo...it was out of respect that I ask. As for TM and the Model S...the best is yet to come. By the time you get your S there will be improvements and by the time I get mine it could be the COTY again. Happy motoring.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I have one of the first 1000 sold. So far it is rock solid!. I am pushing it pretty hard and doing between 450Wh/mi and 500 on average currently driving around town (haven't been pulled over yet :wink:) Haven't found a flaw yet besides wiper sensitivity, which may not be a flaw since the speed is a little different than when I got the car on Saturday. I am at ~ 500 miles and LOVING IT. Engineering masterpiece!

Everyone I have shown the car to or given rides has a Tesla grin when they see me :biggrin:

Zextraterrestrial thanks for sharing your Model S ownership experience. It builds my confidence to hear that one of the low number units is doing well without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodolfo...it was out of respect that I ask. As for TM and the Model S...the best is yet to come. By the time you get your S there will be improvements and by the time I get mine it could be the COTY again. Happy motoring.

Yes, I do realize. No offense nor issue taken, I assure you. My apologies if I was not clear enough.

I don't know what'll happen in 2013, but if things continue going as they are now, I'd not be surprised to see the Model X as 2014 COTY. Maybe the S will garner the 2013 award as well due to the dramatic differences in development paradigms between Tesla and other manufacturers, and the "car gets better even after delivery to owner" part is indeed revolutionary on its own merits.

Maybe the S will garner the 2013 award as well due to the dramatic differences in development paradigms between Tesla and other manufacturers, and the "car gets better even after delivery to owner" part is indeed revolutionary on its own merits.
I see this a bit differently.

Suppose they considered the Model S changes for year 2 significant enough to warrant consideration for COTY. Then they realize that year 1 vehicles were updated to have the same features via software updates. Result: This excellent feature of the year 1 vehicle disqualifies the year 2 vehicle from COTY consideration.

I see this a bit differently.

Suppose they considered the Model S changes for year 2 significant enough to warrant consideration for COTY. Then they realize that year 1 vehicles were updated to have the same features via software updates. Result: This excellent feature of the year 1 vehicle disqualifies the year 2 vehicle from COTY consideration.

I see. I will still consider it the COTY...:cool:

After 5 days of ownership, I briefly lost the Tesla grin today. I had to do a bit of shopping and the parking lot was so crowded that I had to park BETWEEN TWO OTHER CARS. This had never happened before. I was on pins and needles as I finished my shopping in record time.

Fortunately, nothing happened and the Tesla grin returned. I don't remember being this anal when my son was 5 days old. HMM....

Agreed. At this point, everything is sheer fantasy... but if Tesla gets the '12 COTY with S, the '14 with X, and the '15 or '16 with G3, they are going to break record after record in sales and get that factory humming in a very big way.