Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla production update on delayed options (40kWh, 60kWh, standard suspension, red)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this email:

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 3.37.01 PM.png

FYI.

Got it too. Made me sad. Wish they would let us change our options to keep from falling behind in line, but I'm far enough back switching to 85kWh might not get me the car faster anyway.

Just to be clear, sad but understanding that 60kWh won't be in production this year. Very happy that TM communicated this clearly as soon as it was known.

Yes. I will probably cancel now. I'm not going to commit to a 40Kw car without the opportunity to drive one and seeing as how they are telling me to commit before 31 Dec, before I can drive one or know that EPA stuff or...
Yea, that really bugs me. As an 85, I'm not affected, but it seems pretty lame to ask folks to make the $5k non-refundable without offering test drives or releasing performance information.

Yea, that really bugs me. As an 85, I'm not affected, but it seems pretty lame to ask folks to make the $5k non-refundable without offering test drives or releasing performance information.

I am not happy about this either. One of the reasons that I have not finalized yet is because the EPA estimates are not available for 40 kWh. Tesla needs to release the specs before the price increase goes into effect.

Yes. I will probably cancel now. I'm not going to commit to a 40Kw car without the opportunity to drive one and seeing as how they are telling me to commit before 31 Dec, before I can drive one or know that EPA stuff or...
Just another option to consider...
If your number is coming up soon, consider finding a buyer for a Performance model at $150K or so and make a quick buck. Then put down your reservation again so you have more time. ;)

Maybe Tesla could send a firmware upgrade to all the dealer's cars across the country. A Tesla employee could program set the car it "simulated 60" or "faux 40" speeds. customers could get an idea anyway.

Note that they aren't planning to even provide 40 or 60 kWh test drives until at least a couple months after they're shipping them. So if you want a test drive before finalizing, you should cancel and rereserve. This is from the Tesla Bulletin Board:

Our plan for at least the next six months is to continue offering test drives in only 85 kWh versions of Model S. The reasoning behind this is that we are able to offer many more test drives each day with the range of an 85 kWh battery than with 40 or 60 kWh versions.

Note that they aren't planning to even provide 40 or 60 kWh test drives until at least a couple months after they're shipping them. So if you want a test drive before finalizing, you should cancel and rereserve.
That's what I would do. Cancel your current reservation and then reserve again on like 12/30 with the hope that you can test drive a 40 before you are asked to configure.

Understandable.

Option would be to cancel and reserve on 12/31 or something like that to get back in the queue.

But consider this: are you in the market for an 85 kWh or a 60 kWh version. If no, then how close to the stated range/acceleration of the 40 MS would it have to be before you would consider not getting it at all? 10% 25%

I have a feeling the 40 MS is going to drive and feel just like the others with the exception of acceleration. You knew that to be the case.