Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature vs. GP nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KBF

Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)
Someone was mentioning that R's and P's were getting a smoother nose cone than the Signatures (I believe it was originally on one of the delivery threads, but it was also mentioned on the "no 240v" thread. I'm on my phone, links are more time-consuming!)

I understand some P's and R's have been delivered. Can we have some comparison pics? For technical people, do the different designs make any difference apart from aesthetics?

There definitely was a "fat lip" on the older nosecone that has since been smoothed out. Here's one from the Motor Trend COTY gallery:

2013-Tesla-Model-S-front-three-quarter-2.jpg

And, efusco's pic of his newer nosecone in full-res:

8243344974_b77e07a8ac_o_d.jpg

Wonder why they did it? Not sure if I like it.
The 'lip' looks like it was a continuation of the line running from the fender to the nose.

A Sig owner might be able to understand the reasons better (they can look under the hood to see) but it looks like they went from two pieces to one piece for the nosecone. One less piece has got to be better than two just for the simplicity.

Just for interest's sake, the original nose cone is more than two pieces. The area to the lower right of the Tesla T pops out (with a plastic prybar or some other non damaging item) to reveal the pos and neg terminals of the battery connections, for jumpstarting, I suppose. I don't see how you can access that with the new nosecone, unless the battery connectors are back under the frunk now.

The original nosecone has a definite bumper shape across the middle of the front, which sticks out maybe an inch in front of the rest of the nose. Possibly a light bump that might damage just the bumper plastic would not hit the rest of the front end. It definitely makes for easy quick ID of a Signature.

Just for interest's sake, the original nose cone is more than two pieces. The area to the lower right of the Tesla T pops out (with a plastic prybar or some other non damaging item) to reveal the pos and neg terminals of the battery connections, for jumpstarting, I suppose. I don't see how you can access that with the new nosecone, unless the battery connectors are back under the frunk now.

Jumpstarting? Is that even relevant with this car ??? If the 12v dies, do all the systems run off the 12v? How does the 12v get its charge from larger battery pack when running, is there an alternator of some kind? I've always wanted to know this. (mods, feel free to move this to another thread if it goes too far off topic)