Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Signature vs. GP nose cone

Fwiw my sig has the rubbed cone, not the smooth one

Quote Originally Posted by jhs_7645 View Post
    Jumpstarting? Is that even relevant with this car ??? If the 12v dies, do all the systems run off the 12v? How does the 12v get its charge from larger battery pack when running, is there an alternator of some kind? I've always wanted to know this. (mods, feel free to move this to another thread if it goes too far off topic)
    Dunno. Here's a pic with the panel removed. The red cover on the post shows the pos battery connection, but the battery is elsewhere. Please ignore Signature gaps and bugs.

Name:  Nose battery connections 004 sm.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  315.9 KB

FYI I asked about the nose cone change at the factory and was told it is for aesthetic reasons and they were surprised when it changed after sigs already shipped.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    Dunno. Here's a pic with the panel removed. The red cover on the post shows the pos battery connection, but the battery is elsewhere. Please ignore Signature gaps and bugs.

Name:  Nose battery connections 004 sm.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  315.9 KB
    Did you remove the panel yourself? I'm thinking that maybe that the all of the pieces of the nose cone snap into place as this piece does. If so, it will make installation of a number of things much easier. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    Did you remove the panel yourself? I'm thinking that maybe that the all of the pieces of the nose cone snap into place as this piece does. If so, it will make installation of a number of things much easier. What do you think?
    Yes, using a very dull butter knife. It just pops out with no effort. You can see where the clips seat.

I think they did it for simplicity and cost (duh). I would think the whole nose would snap out and off easily. It gives access to things like frunk latch, wiring, etc. One piece is a lot cheaper than 3-5 pieces.

#P708
    hey, little thought for threads like this: i find it incredibly helpful to know the prod seq # and vin (if avail) when discussing differing aspects of delivered models, for tracking production changes.. would be great if those of you who don't have your prod # and vin in your signature or member dets (on the left with avatar) could include such in your posts.. esp those with pics.

thanks!

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Well, we compared mine with another local model S that had been delivered about 2 weeks earlier, and the nose cone is the same. So it appears the dividing line might be production vs. sig.

Blog Entries
    Here is a comparison between the "old" nose, from one of Tesla's studio shots,
    Name:  Old Model S Nose.png
Views: 779
Size:  127.0 KB

and the "new" nose on my (as yet undelivered) Canadian Signature (VIN S02001):
    Name:  Ruby Nose.jpeg
Views: 726
Size:  24.8 KB

In addition to being aesthetically cleaner, the new nose should be aerodynamically cleaner, in a crucial spot-- the first part of the car to touch the wind.
    Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001 | Model S P85D #65512 on order for Dec 2014 delivery.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without expressed consent.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    Yes, using a very dull butter knife. It just pops out with no effort. You can see where the clips seat.

I think they did it for simplicity and cost (duh). I would think the whole nose would snap out and off easily. It gives access to things like frunk latch, wiring, etc. One piece is a lot cheaper than 3-5 pieces.
    Thanks. Great to know. This means installation of the Passport radar detector and Blinder laser jammers will be much easier. I'm also thinking my EZPass transponder can attached under one of the upper nose cone plastic pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    the new nose should be aerodynamically cleaner, in a crucial spot-- the first part of the car to touch the wind.
    Makes you wonder why that change wasn't made sooner.

Thread Information