Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer system crashed and frozen within first 24 hours of ownership. Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had my beautiful Model S less than 24 hours, and the entire computer system is crashed and frozen. To add insult to injury I've just discovered that Tesla has no weekend tech support. Seems strange given that they're beginning a worldwide rollout -- I'm sure they don't want this kind of thing happening.

Here's my situation:

-- Listening to streaming Slacker Radio

-- Daughter did Google search in web browser

-- Web browser became unresponsive; BACK button didn't do anything, no no searches would work

-- About one minute later, the streaming audio started skipping, playing the same annoying sound over and over.

-- Volume controls wouldn't work. Couldn't turn sound off.

-- I then discovered the touch screen was COMPLETELY unresponsive. Nothing worked.

-- Controls on steering wheel didn't work either.

-- I stopped driving, pulled over, and realized I had NO WAY to turn car off, since touchscreen controls didn't work.

-- I exited car and locked it, hoping it would reset. Nothing.

-- I returned to car and stepped on brake, and was greeted with message that I had to wait until touchscreen was powered back on (which it was, just not working)

-- I then panicked, thinking the car was bricked. Finally, though, after releasing brake and pressing on it a second time, message went away and I was able to drive.

-- I made it home (headache beginning from loud repetitive internet audio skipping in car)

-- I thought maybe if I plugged in it would reset somehow

-- Realized I couldn't pop open charging door, as I don't yet have a Tesla charging station -- just Nissan Leaf

-- I then had bright idea to plug Tesla cable into 110 volt outlet and used button to release door. Bingo.

-- Finally got car plugged in. It acts like it's charging, but computer system still frozen, loud audio pulsing.

I tried calling Roadside Assistance, but all they can do is tow. That had no further help for me about tech support. They tried calling a few service centers, but they're all closed (it's Sunday afternoon).

Again, I find it REALLY strange that with so much riding on a successful roll-out, that Telsa wouldn't have some sort of initial Tech Support system in place 24/7.

Can anyone here offer me any assistance with resetting my car?

Thanks --

Lee

Have you tried holding down the two buttons on the steering wheel above the scroll wheels for 10 seconds? That will reset the screen behind the steering wheel. Hope that works.

'Bricking' usually refers to when the battery is destroyed beyond repair and the car is not drivable.

Last edited:
Call Ownership and they will get right back to you.

I experienced much the same yesterday when took my car home yesterday. Seems like the recent 1.4 software download (with all the cool new features) had serious bugs in some of the downloads.

When I called them they said a new (repaired) update had just been pushed out. I rebooted the main screen and when it came back up there was an update waiting for me. I was in my garage and chose to update Now. Takes at least 30 minutes but then all my problems were resolved.

Don't panic, this fix is the real deal. (Just came back from a 50 mile test drive and all is good). Hang in there it will be OK.

First off, thanks for the tip on resetting the central console. That got me out of my freeze. However, the problems continued, and I crashed and completely froze another six times over the next couple of hours.

Luckily, I was contacted by someone at Tesla who saw this thread. He also told me how to reboot the screen above the steering wheel: You hold down the two buttons ABOVE each side scroll wheel. You have to hold them down longer than using the scroll wheels to reboot the 17" panel, but eventually the center screen reboots.

The upshot was, although my car was delivered to me yesterday with the latest software update installed, they caught a few last-minute bugs and issued yet another software update this morning. He had me install that one, which took about 1/2 hour, and I'm now good to go. All the aberrant behavior and crashing has ceased.

Thanks to everyone who offered help, and thanks to Tesla for monitoring this board.

Lee