Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Badging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, with some production performance 85kWh cars being shipped if anybody has taken note of whether it has the 'P85' badge or not. IIRC, there was debate some time ago on the forums as to whether this was going to be on production cars or not.

I'm curious, with some production performance 85kWh cars being shipped if anybody has taken note of whether it has the 'P85' badge or not. IIRC, there was debate some time ago on the forums as to whether this was going to be on production cars or not.

It does not. It was scrapped after Jurvetson's car.

(I rather liked it.)

+1
Good I suppose if you're an owner of a 40 or 60 kWh battery pack, as they all look the same (except for possible wheel and wing differences). But for those with a P85, it's missed bragging rights, and improved resale value. IMO

I'm with the group that's glad they scrapped the idea. Two reasons: (1) it's a bit garish stylistically and (2) I kinda of like not advertising the vehicle's price/value for would-be thieves.

(2) I kinda of like not advertising the vehicle's price/value for would-be thieves.

Those would have to be some pretty sophisticated thieves, since there's no ignition to hotwire, no starter motor to rig. It's all computer controlled requiring an RFID key to be present. Not saying it would be impossible to steal a Model S, but I think the only thefts we'll ever see are cases where someone left their key in the car.

As far as advertising for smash and grabs for contents inside, the car's shape will do that all by itself. I don't think badging will make one bit of difference.

Personally, I wish Tesla had developed a nice, subtle-but-present badge for the performance model, much like the BMW M logo, or Audi S logo.

I would very much like the option of having the P85-badge on my car. Cant see any problem for those not wanting it. Most car manufacturers give you a choice of "removing" badging at no cost when ordering a custom car from them. At least VW, BMW, Audi etc do so as standard.

Having the P85-badge would be nice for me at least, but I also like to see the AMG/M3/M5/M6/S4/RS4/Etc-badges on other brands performance cars. I simply feel it gives the cars some extra "oomph, oh yes I'm special"-feel as compared to the more standard motorised versions of the cars that looks more or less the same.. Most people dont recognize it, but the people in the know acknowledge it right away. I'm not going for the CF-spoiler since I like the look of the car better without it so there goes the only styling-cue visible on the outside of the car.

As Rick James would say:

rICHBITCH.png

:smile:

I wan't badging too!

Was there a reason it was dropped?

They ran out of chrome?! :tongue:

Seriously, as I recall, the reaction back then - when Jurvetson's car was delivered - on these forums was very mixed with folks dissecting the "Phase Current Amplification" tagline beneath and such. And, some were worried about telegraphing the price of the car as well with the badge. Tesla may have taken this as appropriate feedback and may have chosen to drop it for good.

I'm rather the opposite, I'd rather have no badging and woudn't mind getting rid of the "Model S" badging as well. As long I know I'm driving the Performance version, that's good enough for me.
I removed all badging on my Saab 95 and that made it look much "cleaner". Besides It also Get people a bit curious of "what kind of car is that?"
If I do get the Performance, I'll go for thr CF spoiler though. Then Tesla people would know it's a Performance. The P85 badge would not make any sense to people not knowing Tesla anyhow.