Thread: CA Clean Air (HOV) Stickers at/after delivery?

Icon5 CA Clean Air (HOV) Stickers at/after delivery?

Hi all,

Can't find the answer to this question anywhere here on the board. Picked up my Model S today, and I had forgotten to bring the extra $8 check made out to DMV so Tesla could send in the Clean Air sticker form for me. My DS said "no problem" and gave me the form to take home and send in.

BUT the form requires a plate number, and I don't have a license plate yet. The normal process should be that I wait for the plates to arrive, then fill out the Clean Air form and send it back with the check, then wait for the stickers to arrive.

But if that's the case, how was Tesla going to handle this today for me if I had remembered to bring my check? They wouldn't have the plate number either. Do they get special dispensation to send in the forms with just the VIN # but without the plate number? I'm pretty sure the DMV rejects these forms if we try to do that with no plate number.

If they do get special privileges, I'll drive back to fremont with my check to get them to handle it again for me, hopefully saving several weeks of wait time?

--josh
    Roadster 2.0 Sport #502: Fusion Red w/Black, CF accent panels. adjustable suspension, HID upgrade, OVMS module.
    Model S #1299 (Reservation #R433, delivered 12/1/12.) P85, Black with tan leather and obeche wood gloss, 19" wheels, pano roof, tech pkg, sound studio pkg, air suspension, twin chargers
    Model X (Reservation #6034, Reserved 9/30/13)

My car was delivered with plates and I still have not gotten the Clean Air stickers (7+ weeks).

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    My car was delivered without plates and I now have the plates but no stickers.

Blog Entries
    I waited 7 weeks for the HOV stickers after taking delivery of my Roadster. Plates were required info.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Maybe some useful info in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Maybe some useful info in this thread
    Read that thread. Still don't have info on how or why Tesla offered to take my DMV check for the sticker and "handle it for me" since they don't know my plate number and the plates will come right to me. If anyone else knows how this is supposed to work at these recent deliveries where they don't have a plate for you... why would they take the form, and how could they get it processed?
    Roadster 2.0 Sport #502: Fusion Red w/Black, CF accent panels. adjustable suspension, HID upgrade, OVMS module.
    Model S #1299 (Reservation #R433, delivered 12/1/12.) P85, Black with tan leather and obeche wood gloss, 19" wheels, pano roof, tech pkg, sound studio pkg, air suspension, twin chargers
    Model X (Reservation #6034, Reserved 9/30/13)

Items for Sale
    Maybe it's possible to go to the dmv to get your plates? If so, you could send in another application and check for the sticker and ask Tesla to void your check and destroy the application? Maybe the person at Tesla just screwed up by taking your application since the plates are coming straight to you? It might be worth asking AAA if they can help? I went to AAA to register the roadster I just bought. It didn't work. You can register a used car there and get your plates at the same time, they do the required inspection as well. Apparently it is different at least with the roadster. My guess is that it is because it is electric? I will be going to the dmv soon.
    Pantera Dude
    Roadster#107

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    Read that thread. Still don't have info on how or why Tesla offered to take my DMV check for the sticker and "handle it for me" since they don't know my plate number and the plates will come right to me. If anyone else knows how this is supposed to work at these recent deliveries where they don't have a plate for you... why would they take the form, and how could they get it processed?
    They can handle it since the plates get delivered to them (Tesla) and then they FedEx them to you. I received my plates two weeks ago and am now waiting for the HOV stickers. I'm not putting the number plates on my car as I've ordered personalized ones so I'm just going to wait for those to arrive.
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

It's also fun to wait as long as possible to put on the plates. It has been said to extend that new car smell.

Thread Information